• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeking advice: Pheasant and chicks moved into garden (1 Viewer)

Summergarden

We have a female pheasant who moved into our garden on Saturday with about 12 tiny chicks. They have moved onto the bottom terrace lawn which is about 26m x 5m. There are steps and stone walls all around, so the chicks can't get out (but mum can). There are also a lot of trees on one side, in our neighbour’s garden, so they have shade.

However, the chick numbers have gone down, and this morning I think she has 6 or 7 chicks left. I'm putting down water, chick crumb and mealworms for them. I know nothing about looking after birds and I really want to do anything I can to help this little family. I'm keeping my distance most of the time so mum doesn't get too stressed and our dog is banned from the back garden while they are here.

What else can I do to help?

Any advice really really appreciated, thank you.

Welcome to the Forum, I think you are doing all you can, they will unfortunately just have to take their chances, good luck with them .

Thanks Steve. .
I’m not sure how long it will be before they can fly, or at least get big enough to go up the steps, and into other areas of the garden. I’ll just have to hope that the fates are kind to them.
Thank you 😊

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back