• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Selling bird photos (1 Viewer)

nikothomsen

Dear forum

Apologies in advance for the likelihood of this thread being in the wrong folder - moderators may move if more appropriate elsewhere.

I have been approached by a buyer who wish to acquire the copyrights for a number of my photos. I am very much in doubt of what a reasonable price would be. Copyrights would not be exclusive. The buyer wanting to use the photos, crediting me and paying a 'symbolic' amount for each photo acquired. The agreement would not require me to put in any hours - the photos are already in a place where the buyer can access them.

Does anyone here have experience with selling bird photography who can offer some considerations and reflections or maybe even concrete examples of selling bird photography.

If you prefer to discuss privately, feel free to contact DM me.

All the best,

Nikolaj

If the buyer wants to pay to use your images in a publication then the going rate from the various stock image libraries is about £20. You would still hold the copyright.

If the buyer wants to pay to use your images in a publication then the going rate from the various stock image libraries is about £20. You would still hold the copyright.
The usage will be for an application - and I guess primarily for AI background data. Thus, no actual publication, but the right to use my pictures in the app. The price of GBP 20 thus sounds like a high price in my ears. On the other hand, I don't want to devalue my own work :)

Yes, do not sell the copyright under any circumstances. You would lose your rights to use your own work again.

John
Thanks, John. I am not selling the exclusive copyright, and I have specifically had the buyer confirm that I retain ownership and am able to sell the same pictures to third parties.

There are different kinds of "rights". I sell photos with "one-time rights" which means that the buyer can use the photo only once. "All rights" would mean that the buyer can use the photo over and over in any form such as advertisements with no time limit. You should be specific and get it in writing. A "symbolic" amount sounds like the buyer is offering a very low token fee.

There are different kinds of "rights". I sell photos with "one-time rights" which means that the buyer can use the photo only once. "All rights" would mean that the buyer can use the photo over and over in any form such as advertisements with no time limit. You should be specific and get it in writing. A "symbolic" amount sounds like the buyer is offering a very low token fee.
Thanks! Would you indicate what prices you charge for one-time rights?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back