• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Semipalmated vs. Least Sandpiper, Ohio, May 15, 2022 (1 Viewer)

qwerty5

Controversial opinion generator
United States
Today I saw a noticeably grayer peep among the many Least Sandpipers. I was unable to see any yellow on the legs. I'm thinking it's likely SESA, but hoping someone can confirm. Here are some phone scope pics, in the first you can see the difference between it and a LESA:

Attachments

• SESA 5-15-22 (8).jpg
    SESA 5-15-22 (8).jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 1652657347310.jpeg
    1652657347310.jpeg
    995.5 KB · Views: 58
  • SESA 5-15-22 (2).jpg
    SESA 5-15-22 (2).jpg
    964.5 KB · Views: 56
  • SESA 5-15-22 (5).jpg
    SESA 5-15-22 (5).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
  • SESA 5-15-22 (7).jpg
    SESA 5-15-22 (7).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Is it the same bird in the first 3 and last 2 photos?

The last 2 look good for Semipalmated with the short and thick-looking bill, and dark legs.

One problem with leg color is determining if mud is a factor, but it looks very black in the last 2 photos, so I think it's not just mud.

Hopefully others chime in 🙂

I don't know if it's expected there, but (5) could be Western. Rufous coloured crown and cheek patch. Some of the others could be semis: difficult to be sure given image quality

I'm fairly certain all photos are of the same bird. The differences in the pictures I think is due to lighting and such, in the last two photos everything looks more clear and conrasty. Western would be extremely rare here in the spring. Can Least ever be this pale and gray?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back