• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Several days birding with Monarch HG 8X42 (1 Viewer)

Out of curiosity what was wrong with the Nikon SE 10X42 and did they replace the eyecups? I wonder if the EU has any extra SE eyecups.

Andy W.

I 've had two repairs (interestingly I noticed No 2 below soon after I received back from repair for No 1):

1. Fungus on edge of objective lens - this was removed, cleaned and binoculars recollimated.

2. The dioptre assembly was loose and the repair stated: "Adjusted dioptre adjustment ring. Repair, adjust and lubricate focusing helicoid operation".

Both repaired under the 10 year warranty.

Ukorim,

Thanks here in the US, Nikon service for anything achieved (binoculars not made anymore), is inconsistent at best. Will it get better? who knows. The SE 10X42 is still a very able glass, I still have mine.

Andy W.

I have been enjoying my MHG 8x30 quite a lot after picking it in the refurb sale. Sorry for the dumb question, why might someone choose the 8x42 over the 8x30 other than for better low-light performance? Personally, I am happy with the low-light performance of the 30mm diameter. Does the larger objective diameter offer other benefits than just low-light (the FOV appears to be identical)?

I have been enjoying my MHG 8x30 quite a lot after picking it in the refurb sale. Sorry for the dumb question, why might someone choose the 8x42 over the 8x30 other than for better low-light performance? Personally, I am happy with the low-light performance of the 30mm diameter. Does the larger objective diameter offer other benefits than just low-light (the FOV appears to be identical)?

With the larger aperture you'll inherently get a little bit better resolution, assuming the lenses are all of equal quality of course. But I think the biggest difference will be a larger exit pupil resulting in easier eye placement and a potentially more "comfortable" view.

With the larger aperture you'll inherently get a little bit better resolution, assuming the lenses are all of equal quality of course. But I think the biggest difference will be a larger exit pupil resulting in easier eye placement and a potentially more "comfortable" view.
Bigger apertures are generally better at glare control also.

To pick up on pbjosh’s comments in post #124, about the advantages of a 42 mm objective over a 30 mm one . . .

Although for convenience we express objective sizes (and exit pupil sizes) in terms of diameter, in use they function in terms of their area
So a 42 mm diameter objective has basically twice the area of a 30 mm one: 1.96x to be exact, at 1,386 sq mm verses 707 sq mm

And for me when comparing an 8x42 to an 8x30, the significantly increased objective area - and therefore similarly larger exit pupil area -
makes both for much easier eye placement, and for a much more comfortable viewing experience

- - - -

And for comparison:
- a 32 mm diameter objective has an area of 805 sq mm, so a 42 mm objective has 1.72x greater area, and

- a 32 mm objective in turn has a 1.14x greater area than a 30 mm objective (though to me not obviously significant on direct comparison)

John

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back