• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Several New Tests from Gijs! (1 Viewer)

Hi Gijs,

Thankfully, nowhere near that. Though once a week or so when it occurs to me, the first thing I do is a check of various sites
to see if there’s anything new
And this morning there was new material both by you and Roger Vine
So a rewarding start to the day!

And a minor matter for Jan to sort out: currently the Wollensak link incorrectly connects to the Swaro NL/ Zeiss SF article

John

Thank you, Gjis, for making these new reviews, and thank you John, for alerting us that they are out!

Just as a sidenote, Gjis: you are probably aware that the Carl Zeiss 7x40 NVA has been "surviving" until today in the form of the ZRAK RD-7x40, produced today under an old Zeiss licence by ZRAK in Sarajewo, Bosnia-Herzegovina. I ordered and got one last year, and Holger Merlitz briefly reviewed it here together with some other versions: https://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,444489,445206#msg-445206

Best regards. Canip

Attachments

• IMG_6280r.jpg
    IMG_6280r.jpg
    473.4 KB · Views: 17
Hello Canip,
No I was not aware of it, we only have the " old" Zeiss NVA 7x40 and my idea was that the test is mainly of interest for binocular collectors. But thank you for drawing my attention to it.
Gijs van Ginkel

Did Gijs' mother have identical quintuplets who masquerade under a single name, or does he have a sleep disorder? If this sort of work ethic becomes usual in Europe, the Chinese Workers' Representatives are going to march in protest in Brussels :)

Edmund

Edmun,
Yesterday I celebrated my 125-th birthday, so you will understand that I do not get your thoughtful question, but if you help we can sort it out.
Gijs van Ginkel

Edmund, post 6,
I get your point, it took a little time since a had a lot of other work to do. You seem to have the impression that I work myself to pieces to complete these investigations. That is not the case, they grew gradually in the course of time, only the NL pure and the SF 32 were a challenge: the NL pure is very hard to get, so that required a little time. The other test reports were more or less meant for the collectors society, since in 2021 another meeting of the Binocular History Society is planned and collectors might be interested in the older/historic binoculars. Preparation of these reports took a number of months especially because we were not allowed to enter the laboratry for quite some time because of the Covid problems. When the reports are finished, they are checked for errors, not well written or non-understandable parts or corrected and if that procees is finished I give my data to Jan van Daalen from House of Outdoor and he asks his WEB-master to put them on internet. But since it is a very busy time, she must have overlooked that there was a wrong link; I have asked her to restore it and, since she is a very dedicated and fast working lady everything will be allright soon.
The "damage" seems not so big to me since not many people know the name of Wollensak or know that binoculars of that brand exist.
Gijs van Ginkel

I'm eager to check out the Wollensak piece, I have a few of them.
Question: Was the Rollei an offshoot of Avimo or vice versa? Thanks

Gijs,

The info is very well appreciated with respect to the new reviews and especially the older glass. I wonder what the transmission of NVA 7X40 could have been with better coatings, I have two, perhaps sacrifice one...

Andy W.

Andy, post 13,
I actually do not know, since the glass components in the NVA are not the most recent ones with high transmission glass, so it is a gamble to predict the effects of the newest coatings, but you could ask Zeiss to update your sample. It will probably cost you your Christmas gratification, but at least you have a modern very heavy porro binocular.
Gijs van Ginkel

It is heavy that is for sure, works quite well as a dumbell weight for workouts/curls prior to handheld astro sessions.:LOL:

Andy W.

Gils, thank you for the Wollensak review. It is an interesting read.

Andy, the NVA is a slender lightweight.
Signed, Sard 6x42 Mark 43 :)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back