• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SF Handling (1 Viewer)

dries1

I have had some time in the field with my NL 8X42 and while with an acquaintance who owns the SF in both 8 and 10X42 I had a chance to use both in the field for extensive periods in the field.
While I find the SF to be a large glass in hand,( I am used to the smaller EDG) it is very well balanced, and the NL while smaller, has a higher density. The NL feels like a heavy weight at times, and the weight is in the eye piece end, (sort of like the older smaller aperture 8 and 10X32s HG/LXs from Nikon with their large eye pieces).
Optically they (NL/SF) are both very good, providing a wide flat field of view, however one thing I have learned (if I wanted to stand or sit for long periods of time to glass, I prefer the lighter SF with the better balance). Perhaps it is my hands, but I am not quite sold on the thin waist of the NL, and I do not know if over time will grow to really like it, not what I am used to.
I will be keeping the 8X42 NL for now, it is a bit of a specialty glass with the wide FOV( I may try another SF 8X42 down the road as well), it is a nice glass for the night sky on those dark clear nights, and when I really want/need a wide FOV glass for viewing, however one thing is for sure.

I will be keeping my Noctivid, SV 8.5X42, and EDGs long term.

Andy W.

Andy, Your findings agree very well with mine. I suggest you also give the SF 10x42 a chance, they have no RB and personally I prefer them to the 8x42.///Peter

Andy, glad you`re enjoying your NL, I can`t comment on the NL as I haven`t even seen one let alone hold one, but I find the balance of the 42mm SF one of its greatest attributes, I can hold mine up seemingly indefinitely, I`ve never experienced this before with a 42mm glass and it certainly makes them a keeper for me.

John.

Peter/Torview,

The issue is the ergonomics for me (Both the SF and NL are enhanced with the best optics), the NL is a heavy for a 8X42 - as is the Noctivid, however the weight is biased to the eye pieces on the NL, where the Noctivid it is more evenly distributed. I will try to use what ever technique to make them more palatable, (additionally getting used to that thin mid section on the NL has been a bit of a battle - coupled with the heavy eye piece section). They are fine for normal viewing, however as Lee had stated in his experience, if spending extensive time viewing, the SF allows the viewer a light balanced glass allowing the viewer to spend a relaxed time behind the glass. It is lighter in weight than the NL and I could notice the difference.
I may try the SF in 10X42 down the road, as it has a wide FOV for a 10X42.

Andy W.

Last edited:
This thread having kicked up again inspired me to take my SF 8x42 to the local reserve today instead of my usual MHG 8x30. There's no doubt the SF is by a good margin my best bin. It still feels remarkably light in the hand and the focus and ease of view are dreamy. While I cannot fault my MHG or EL, the SF is just more polished, does everything a bit better, and has a bigger and easier view.

Just one annoying thing - and I've never heard of it affecting anyone else - is that I get an odd interaction between my prescription sunglasses and the SF when looking into the sun at water. Colors go a weird bronzy-green-purple, like iridescent almost. Looking into the sun at earth or foliage or sand does not induce this. You can certainly still bird about 95+% as well despite the odd color shift, but it's distracting and unattractive. It's led me to not use the SFs on pelagics when it's sunny enough to need sunglasses. Well today it was the only bin I took with me, and I was scanning mudflats directly into the sun and I've never seen such iridescent psychadelic Calidris and Tringas in my life!

This thread having kicked up again inspired me to take my SF 8x42 to the local reserve today instead of my usual MHG 8x30. There's no doubt the SF is by a good margin my best bin. It still feels remarkably light in the hand and the focus and ease of view are dreamy. While I cannot fault my MHG or EL, the SF is just more polished, does everything a bit better, and has a bigger and easier view.

Just one annoying thing - and I've never heard of it affecting anyone else - is that I get an odd interaction between my prescription sunglasses and the SF when looking into the sun at water. Colors go a weird bronzy-green-purple, like iridescent almost. Looking into the sun at earth or foliage or sand does not induce this. You can certainly still bird about 95+% as well despite the odd color shift, but it's distracting and unattractive. It's led me to not use the SFs on pelagics when it's sunny enough to need sunglasses. Well today it was the only bin I took with me, and I was scanning mudflats directly into the sun and I've never seen such iridescent psychadelic Calidris and Tringas in my life!

PBJOSH,

I'm the last person who should chime in on a technical question, but are your prescription sunglasses either polarized, photochromic or both?

Mike

PBJOSH,

I'm the last person who should chime in on a technical question, but are your prescription sunglasses either polarized, photochromic or both?

Mike

Polarized yes, photochromatic no. I've mentioned this here a few times but no one else has ever run into it. For what it's worth this didn't exist with a vintage 2013 Conquest HD that I had for many years, and doesn't exist with any other bins I have (Swaro, Nikon, Kowa, Canon). Also for what it's worth, they are Maui Jim brand where the lenses are 3D formed so that they can correct for diopter/astigmatism as necessary, get the pupils centered, but put the lenses into a more wrapped sunglasses package that sheds wind and lets in less light (prescription sunglasses typically cannot be wrap around style). For sports (climbing, biking, running, alpinism) and for being on the ocean, the sunglasses are amazing. Just the one weird interaction.

I get this effect with polarized sunglasses with all my bins, in certain lighting conditions
Interesting! I have done side-by-sides many times and have spent a lot of time looking for it in other bins. I've never seen any such effect with any of these:
8x42 Conquest HD
8x42 Monarch M7
8x30 Monarch M7
8x30 Monarch HG
10x42 ELSV
6,5x32 Kowa BDII-XD
12x32 Canon mkIII

The only other bin I have seen it in was an 8x42 Noctivid, though the color shift was different, I saw lots of blue/purple iridescence rather than bronzy/green/purple.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back