• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SFL 8x30 worth it? (2 Viewers)

One consideration in judging a binocular should be recognition that a "lifetime guarantee,' may be limited by the life of the company. Maven does not have the history of Zeiss, or even of Meopta. Some of us have experienced the "lifetime guarantee" of Zen-Ray, which did not last a decade. Other importers have had issues with servicing discontinued lines after less than a decade.
See also the “Lindy Effect”:

And Dennis’s binoculars are always the best , until after he sells them🤭😜✌🏼

He is the binocular version of a fashion victim, and a salutary warning or object lesson in the risks of buying too many binoculars. Often entertaining, though.

Regarding OP’s question, I think the SFL is worth it with the rebate but not at full list price if you are looking for pair of lightweight auxiliary binoculars. It makes more sense to me than the bigger 32mm class compared to full-size 42mm. It probably needs a thinner, lighter or detachable neck strap, the supplied one is too bulky, and the objective covers are very annoying.

............................ It probably needs a thinner, lighter or detachable neck strap, the supplied one is too bulky, and .............
One possibility would be to replace the provided strap with an Op-Tech USA Bino/OP Strap Bino/Op Strap - Quick Disconnect

Problem in my situation, the company apparently only ships within the USA. And I have yet to find a store that has this particular strap. Several more standard size ones are readily available here.

Last edited:
One possibility would be to replace the provided strap with an Op-Tech USA Bino/OP Strap Bino/Op Strap - Quick Disconnect

Good point, OP/Tech make excellent gear. My solution has been a Peak Design Leash. Another good option is the Australian Lucky Straps 20 with its distinctive quick-release system I use on my Retrovid 8x40.

Problem in my situation, the company apparently only ships within the USA. And I have yet to find a store that has this particular strap. Several more standard size ones are readily available here.

B&H Photo has it and will ship internationally, but the shipping cost will significantly outweigh the price of the strap itself unless you group it with other purchases.

From recent personal experience: ordering anything from the US or the UK incurs comparatively high import duties and should the stuff come via UPS, they will add another 10% to the cost in "fees". Items I odered form both countries mentioned above thus had another 30% or thereabouts added to the bill. I will no longer purchase anything from outside the EU and US/UK companies without representation within the EU will no longer get my trade. Of course YMMV.

Luckily Foto Koch in Germany has a fair selection of Op/Tech products, while Augenblicke Eingefangen has quite a few LensCoat products.

Last edited:
From recent personal experience: ordering anything from the US or the UK incurs comparatively high import duties and should the stuff come via UPS, they will add another 10% to the cost in "fees". Items I odered form both countries mentiones above thus had another 30% or thereabouts added to the bill. I will no longer anything from outside the EU and US/UK companies without representation within the EU will no longer get my trade. Of course YMMV.

Luckily Foto Koch in Germany has a fair selection of Op/Tech products, while Augenblicke Eingefangen has quite a few LensCoat products.
Since Brexit, ordering anything from the UK to be sent to the EU is in, my experience at least, now prohibitively expensive!

Op/Tech products are indeed very good. In the EU, I've ordered them from Amazon and from their french reseller (optechusa.fr).

Good point, OP/Tech make excellent gear. My solution has been a Peak Design Leash. Another good option is the Australian Lucky Straps 20 with its distinctive quick-release system I use on my Retrovid 8x40.

B&H Photo has it and will ship internationally, but the shipping cost will significantly outweigh the price of the strap itself unless you group it with other purchases.
Thanks for the different supply possibilities! Great. I have now tried B&H as I have dealt with them before, though then via my son's Chicago address.

I picked the cheapest delivery category, but I'm prepared to possibly have to pay handling here. It used to be easy as long as one stayed below a certain amount. Things may have changed, so this is just an experiment. Need to find out whether I will have to wait for some visitor coming. That has taken years at times, though.

Thanks for the different supply possibilities! Great. I have now tried B&H as I have dealt with them before, though then via my son's Chicago address.
The nice thing about their prepaid customs option is that’s it’s all-inclusive, unlike the usual DHL/FedEx/UPS where you end up with surprise administrative fees for customs clearance that often exceed the actual duties themselves. But yes, if they have an EU affiliate like in France, that will be preferable.

I just got my new SFL 8x30. I've used a lot of binoculars including the EL SV 8x32, Victory FL 8x32, Ultravid HD 8x32, Victory Pocket 8x25 and some other upper/mid-range 8x30ish binos. These are by far my favorite, despite limited time to use them. Crystal clear (duh), practically nonexistent weight, ease of use is superb. For an 8x30 and as a glasses wearer I expect some difficulty with getting everything to work right, but these were spot on after minor adjustments.
Of full sized bins, I maybe liked the 7x42 SLC-Neu better.

Last edited:
After trying one (SFL 8X30), I decided to keep my FLs, the SF 8X32 is another matter. However I am quite satisfied with my EDG, SVs and SEs.

After trying one (SFL 8X30), I decided to keep my FLs, the SF 8X32 is another matter. However I am quite satisfied with my EDG, SVs and SEs.
You found your FL better than the SFL? What do you like about the SF over the FL? The bigger FOV and sharper edges? The SE's are good, aren't they. With the wide objective separation, they have a lot of stereopsis. What SE's do you have? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back