• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SFL 8X40 or Ultravid 7X42 (1 Viewer)

... I thought we were comparing 8x40SFL and UV7X's :rolleyes:

I don't own the UV7's but I can compare the UV8x42HD+ and 8x40SFL directly (both at hand):
  • I generally prefer the SFL's for ergos (lighter, faster, grippier and larger focus knob), and I have no issues with its diopter adjustment (has never moved unintentionally, but then again I was ok with the Trinovids which are similar).
  • They both have a relaxing view (I wear specs) but the SFL does have more ER and a larger 'eyebox' (eyepc lens dia), w/out being so generous as to induce any finicky blackouts.
  • Both seem equally sharp and the SFL is quite neutral in color, while the UV may be a tiny bit warmer. The UV does have perhaps a little more contrast. I've always thought the flat transmission spectrum of the Leicas (high trans well into red end) helps perceived contrast.
  • The SFL has a little wider FOV - if I compare side-by-side, I rationally think it's not big deal. But if I actually use them in field I prefer SFL FOV.
  • At first the SFL's bothered me a little with their flatter field (I'm very sensitive to rolling ball nausea), but I came to terms with it relatively quickly.
  • I find the build on both (armor, caps etc.) to be high-quality. I suppose I may change my mind in a couple of years, but so far no complaints about the SFL's and of course the UV's are typical Leica quality.

I love the UV's but the SFL's have for the first time caused me to wonder whether they'll ever be my goto binos again. I find myself reaching for the SFL's almost exclusively. I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish the SFL's were also made in Portugal or the US :) But I've owned a lot of MIJ optics (Nikons BITD, Sony more recently) and I have no doubts about Japan's ability to make fine optical devices.

Last edited:
As to getting advice from dealers, do you trust them?
I can only speak as I find, and the dealer I used to do business with I absolutely trusted and I have had sufficient contact with another dealer to know that I would trust him too. Both of these dealers were called Tim and one of them has since retired.

I am sure that there are dealers who understand that customers who receive good advice and are happy with their purchases are customers who come back for more and who recommend the dealer to their family and friends.

There are bad eggs in every basket but don't write off all dealers simply because some may not understand what customer service means.

Last edited:
The hummingbirds on my porch are only about 10 feet away, or less - close focus is nice for them, and for dragonflies and butterflies on or near the ground - you don't want to step closer and scare them away. As long as I have one pair of binos for this I'm satisfied, the 5 meters of the old E's is close enough 99% of the time for me.
You have hummingbirds on Vanuatu?!

I wear eyeglasses and use binoculars a lot day and night for various purposes and viewing comfort is a very high priority for me, so a 7x42 Ultravid HD+ has become my most used 32-42mm binocular. I have no experience with the SFL.

You have hummingbirds on Vanuatu?!
I've got to do something about that flag.....seems like some people don't have a flag under their name, that's what I want, I can't seem to get rid of it, so I picked a nice colorful one! :) Maybe I'll try Schweiz, I am Swiss....my grandparents were from Zurich area and Winterhur....moved to Lancaster County Pennsylvania in the 1920's.

I can only speak as I find, and the dealer I used to do business with I absolutely trusted and I have had sufficient contact with another dealer to know that I would trust him too. Both of these dealers were called Tim and one of them has since retired.

I am sure that there are dealers who understand that customers who receive good advice and are happy with their purchases are customers who come back for more and who recommend the dealer to their family and friends.

There are bad eggs in every basket but don't write off all dealers simply because some may not understand what customer service means.
Funny, my local dealer is also a Tim😀. I totally trust him, but everybody’s eyes are different. Tim has let me take Swarovski and Leica home for a weekend to try out against each other. Swarovski sells 5-1 over Leica and 10-1 over Zeiss, but my eyes preferred the Leica view.

Last edited:
I've got to do something about that flag.....seems like some people don't have a flag under their name, that's what I want, I can't seem to get rid of it, so I picked a nice colorful one! :) Maybe I'll try Schweiz, I am Swiss....my grandparents were from Zurich area and Winterhur....moved to Lancaster County Pennsylvania in the 1920's.
Zürich and Winterthur ist where I am from, born in Winterthur then grown up in Zurich.

Go here and request this ability again. Leaving country blank used to be an option.

(I thought you were commemorating vanishing island nations -- you had Tuvalu before)
Very good! I'm liking these forums and more....that was exactly what I had in mind! Shout-out to these poor people living on sandbars and atolls :(

Zürich and Winterthur ist where I am from, born in Winterthur then grown up in Zurich.

My grandmother's family has been living in Wangen since at least 1200, I don't know as much about my grandfather's family but he was from Kreuzlingen, he moved to the USA from Winterhur. From a young age, I always loved snow and mountains, when I saw my grandmother's house in Wangen-Nuolen I realized maybe it's in my blood! Such a beautiful area, on the lake and in the foothills of the Alps. The economy was terrible in the 1920's and none of them could get jobs or get married apparently.

Last edited:
Very good! I'm liking these forums and more....that was exactly what I had in mind! Shout-out to these poor people living on sandbars and atolls :(

My grandmother's family has been living in Wangen since at least 1200, I don't know as much about my grandfather's family but he was from Kreuzlingen, he moved to the USA from Winterhur. From a young age, I always loved snow and mountains, when I saw my grandmother's house in Wangen-Nuolen I realized maybe it's in my blood! Such a beautiful area, on the lake and in the foothills of the Alps. The economy was terrible in the 1920's and none of them could get jobs or get married apparently.
Yes, many Swiss left the country during the depression times over the centuries, kind of what happens now with people coming from so called third-world areas. But I digress way into OT areas. Sorry, but I had been wondering when I saw the post about hummingbirds yet linked it with South Pacific islands.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back