• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharm el Sheik reptiles id please (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
Sharm el Sheikh reptiles id please

On a recent birding and snorkelling visit to Sharm el Sheikh in the southern Sinai, I also saw some common reptiles in the hotel area. As I have no idea about their names, I'd be thankful for some help. First, there is a gecko of which several were seen every night.

Attachments

• P1050493red.jpg
    P1050493red.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
The second set concerns the numerous lizards along the paths. There were three appearances, but I presume this is males, and females and immatures?

Here are the first two of these: the blue-tailed ones were the most common, but quite agile. They had conspicuous striping as well. Presumably these were all males? But they were very tolerant towards each other.

The ones with the yellow chin-side patch/stripe and no dorsal stripes looked like they must have been females (from the plumper shape). They were larger and much less common.

Attachments

• P1050590red.jpg
    P1050590red.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 186
  • P1050569red.jpg
    P1050569red.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Here is another presumed female with a clearly yellow chin in addition to the side stripe.

The second picture shows a female shaped lizard with dorsal stripes but no yellow and no blue. I presume this is an immature female?

If this is true, are immatures striped like males? That would be contrary to what I know from other lizards where immatures resemble females.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• P1050572red.jpg
    P1050572red.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 148
  • P1050435red.jpg
    P1050435red.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
The lizards are Trachylepis quinquetaeniata, Rainbow Mabuya, a type of skink.
The immatures are indeed more colourful than the adults, but that's not uncommon in reptiles!

The lizards are Trachylepis quinquetaeniata, Rainbow Mabuya, a type of skink.
The immatures are indeed more colourful than the adults, but that's not uncommon in reptiles!

So does that mean the blue-tailed ones are immatures then? But how would the males look then? Well, I tried your link for this. I would agree on the species, I think. No more info there, but a good start for sure! Thanks again.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back