• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharp shinned or Cooper's Hawk (1 Viewer)

corralup

There seems to be a debate over my hawk I found in the Rio Grande Valley-Texas. Both pics same hawk. Thanks ahead of time.

Attachments

• Coopers.jpg
    Coopers.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Coopers sm.jpg
    Coopers sm.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 112
Interesting. Most marks seem to lean Sharpie: eyes look big in the head, head looks round and not too big, underside streaking is heavy. The legs don't look "pencil thin" - but that's not a very reliable mark. It's hard to tell if the tail feathers are all the same length, but at least I'm not seeing feathers that are clearly shorter. I'd provisionally call it a Sharpie.

Any shots of the tail spread open, or of the underside of the tail? I'm leaning Cooper's hawk here, but I'll refrain from calling it from these shots alone.

The markings on the flanks are not blackish streaks, but reddish blobs = Sharp-shinned. Some Sharpies can match Cooper's underparts pattern, but I've never seen a Coop that look like this.

I get a Cooper's feeling with this one, though I couldn't swear to it. I don't think the underparts are unusual for a Cooper's--see here for a picture of an accipiter with similar markings on the flanks, whose graduated tail clearly shows it to be a Cooper's Hawk.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back