• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sheepwash urban park (2 Viewers)

Does anybody visit these days?

An hour or so down there with a circuit of the main pool only. A couple of singing Reed Warblers and a Chiffchaff. Lots of Herons but not as many Little Grebes as during the breeding season last year? A good range of flowers out with lots of vetches - i picked some seed for the garden of Common Vetch.

The place needs a couple of regular, local, observers - any offers? You could find your own stuff instead of being herded with all the sheep elsewhere;)

For its size and locale Sheepwash has had some great stuff but like all 'local' patches (as opposed to ones that people call local but travel 20-30 miles to get to) it needs to be done regularly.....

Good Birding, Laurie:t:

Ring Necked Parakeet x3 just flew over Dunkirk Avenue in the direction of Sheepwash
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Keep seeing a couple of Cormorants flying around and landing on Smethwick Pumping Station Tower while passing on the train.......might be youngsters ...could they have come from the Sheepwash.

Keep seeing a couple of Cormorants flying around and landing on Smethwick Pumping Station Tower while passing on the train.......might be youngsters ...could they have come from the Sheepwash.

There are many Cormorants in the area has you say they are probably Sheepwash birds or even birds from Sandwell Valley
Good Birding YAMYAM

Cheers Yam Yam.....while on the canal bridge around 10.30 at Oldbury road yesterday a Kestrel was using the thermals with bit of hovering and floated off towards Greets green Park.
Today same place and time Cormorant came up canal over my head then 360 turn before going back up towards sheepwash.

On way home 4.30 on train more Cormorants....one around Galton bridge then 2 on the pumping Station again.

Pic while moving past pump house on train.....only just nabbed them...lol

Attachments

• 20160902_163842_fhdr.jpg
    20160902_163842_fhdr.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 20160902_163842_fhdr A.jpg
    20160902_163842_fhdr A.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 109
  • 20160902_163842_fhdr A  B.jpg
    20160902_163842_fhdr A B.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 120
A month since the last post.....

Bumped into Hughie King ystda and in the absence of anything of note we indulged in what birders do when in that situation - we talked of 'what's about' and previous ticks! The Ruddy Duck aka 'Lonesome Dove' finally seems to have disappeared, i think i last saw it sometime in March.

With both that and Mark Shepherd not showing it would appear that 2 fixtures of the place have now gone..... What has happend with / to Mark - not a peep (no pun intended).

14 Cormorants, mainly juveniles and 4 male Pochard of note.

Laurie:t:

Brandon way / Canalside......

On the way to work around 10.45 along the canal the Heron was lying low ...but watching me.
The usual Mallard - Coot and roadrunner Moorhen were going about there business as I was taking snaps when all of a sudden a Buzzard soared over the trees and turned above the canal and back over the wasteland.....I was frantically trying to get it in the frame of the phone cam when I heard a Raven calling....it turned out to be 2 Raven mobbing the Buzzard. (see crap video).
Was I in Oldbury or on the Brecon Beacons ???

Coming home along the canal - 4.20pm - A Kestrel was hovering over the same wasteland and then another shot through the trees and down the towpath to land in the trees on my side....it took of later as I approached. (see even crappier video)
Why does all this happen when you dont have a camera.....

Buzzard/Ravens....https://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05/32466812846/in/dateposted-public/

Kestrel....https://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05/32466814126/in/dateposted-public/

The wasteland by the canal....
The junction on the canal....Pudding Green Bridge.

EDIT.....As I came out of work by the canal 4 Cormorant were flying towards Sandwell Valley....and the exactly the same thing tonight....wonder if they were the same 4....

Attachments

• aaaaa.jpg
    aaaaa.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 20170124_103959_fhdr.jpg
    20170124_103959_fhdr.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back