• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shenley Fields Lake - Weoley Castle (1 Viewer)

Tomwbhx

I need to retire! ....oh I have!
United Kingdom
Driving past to the office today, spotted 6 Goosander (5m, 1f) on the 'lake' Amongst the large amounts of Canada Geese and Black-headed Gulls. Couple of Lesser Black-backed Gulls and Mute Swan as well

Cheers
Tom

Goosander

Yes I've seen them as well on Shenley Fields lake and Valley Parkway boating pond! I rushed to my car, got the camera and got a photo!!

Attachments

• Goosander.jpg
    Goosander.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 210
More Goosander

I think it was up to 15 goosander on Weoley Castle, Shenley Fields lake. They kept moving! ;) Then further along on the Wood brook or Bourne before the Valley Parkway a female kingfisher :-O

Attachments

• gs2wc.jpg
    gs2wc.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 204
  • KF_WBbush2.jpg
    KF_WBbush2.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 202
After my run to and around Woodgate Valley, I just had to check the Goosander on Shenley Fields. 8 still present today at 2.50.

20-06-14
Shenley Fields Lake - Swan on nest
Manor Farm Park Lake - Swans with seven cygnets
Valley Parkway boating pool - a coot has managed to nest next to a buoy.

Last edited:
10-08-14
Unfortunately neither the swans on SFL or the coot nesting on VP were successful this year. Better news, this evening I found a family of Grey Wagtail on Wood Brook!!

Last edited:
Wood Brook, Shenley Fields lake, BVT Valley Parkway boating pond 25th Dec 2014 - 14:00
A quick run to look for a grey wagtail on Wood brook and I found one!! Then to my surprise 4 Goosander on the Valley Parkway boating pond - 2m, 2f. Then Shenley Fields lake had 2 Goosander present today - 1m, 1f (great to see some back again this year!!)

Shenley Fields Lake - Weoley Castle 15:00
4 Goosander present, very busy diving, close to the edge. Surprisingly a heron also present but it soon flew off. Funny how also, all the Canadian geese and mallards rush to the cars that stop, in the hope of food. I forgot to record that there were 2 Goosander on the Valley Parkway boating pond last week.

Last edited:
17-01-15 Shenley Fields Lake - Weoley Castle 12:00
It was a surprise and very good to see 4 and then a total of 7 Goosander on the lake, they were very busy diving and then swimming away as I got very close to see them in all their glory. Just as much of a surprise was a heron on the island.

Last edited:
The heron was present on the Shenley Fields Lake island both mornings this weekend, so must spend the night here. Also present was a grey wagtail on Saturday. I usually find them on the brook that flows from the lake, found one there today. Also present a short distance away was a Redwing on the grass verge, that didn't seem in a hurry to fly off anywhere.

Bournville Valley Parkway Boating Pond 28th March 2014 - 06.15 morning
I was pleasantly surprised and off to a good start with seven Goosander on the Valley Parkway Boating pond (I had to look a second and third time to make sure). Hope Keith R sees this!! it was a cracking start to a great morning which just got better and better. See my KF post for the same morning.

Shenley Fields Lake - Weoley Castle 15:00
I've seen one heron on this lake before. Today there was one, then I saw two and then it was three! Great!!

I've been waiting for the Goosander to arrive and three were present this morning with two on the Valley Parkway boating pond. Also they've been reported on Merecroft Pool. Great!!

Sad news at the lake. The resident male swan died after being attacked by a dog. The female and eggs have been moved and are under the care of the rspca.

My last post for this site was the death of a Swan. I always take a quick look. Finally a Swan has returned. There was a Heron over winter. There's a pair of Tufted ducks. As at most lakes now, a Coot is sat on a nest.

I'm keeping an eye on the lake;
A Heron has returned, fishing off a branch over the water.
The water level is quite low.
There was a Tufted duck & a Grey Wagtail at the inlet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back