• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shetland 2022 (1 Viewer)

Original PaulE

United Kingdom
Bit of a misleading title as in this post, haven't even got to Shetland yet!! We are here now and after a couple of glorious days, it is raining!! Had to at some point! However every cloud etc so have been able to sort out a few pics and do a quick :) Blog post! This post covers our journey north a trip so epic that Frodo decided to give it a miss as to arduous!!!o_O
We broke our Journey in Dundee, on the first day we visited Leighton Moss and on the second day Seaton cliffs, both because I'd heard of them and not been to either before, we had good weather both days and both visits were very enjoyable, would definitely need more time at Leighton Moss and an earlier start would probably been more productive, however we had good views of Swifts and nice to hear a Bittern booming!! Marsh Harriers were seen as well. Seaton Cliffs were Spectacular in themselves, add lot's of Seabirds and another great visit was had!! Bit of Seawatching off the ferry was good as well, 3 large flocks of Arctic Terns the highlight though fairly distant, a quick glimpse of unidentified Dolphin/Porpoise was good as well!!
A fuller report and probably too many pictures on the blog at the link below
Hopefully the weather will improve and I will have less time for Blog Posts although spoiler alert the first 2 days in Shetland have been pretty awesome, to my standard anyway, so more posts to follow!

Attachments

• 559A6436.JPG
    559A6436.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 559A5994.JPG
    559A5994.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 559A6004.JPG
    559A6004.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
Well I'm a bit behind on the posts! Spending far too much time birding, also thousands of pics taken, don't sort themselves!!
This post is the 3rd day of our holiday,1st day on Shetland, with perfect weather and time to kill before the apartment was ready, we hit Sumburgh Head, good decision, great views of Puffins, Fulmars, Razorbills, Guillemots, Gannets, Wheatears, Twite, Pipits etc etc, Highlight for me anyway was the pair of Arctic Skuas that spiralled above our heads! Also saw a Shetland Wren, question for the experts, is it a separate species or subspecies of our Wren, also curious about the status of the Starlings in Shetland, I seem to remember the Orkney ones were a subspecies are the Shetland ones different from them? Anyway, fuller report and loads of pics on the blog at the link below!!

Attachments

• 559A6860.JPG
    559A6860.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 38
  • 559A6885.JPG
    559A6885.JPG
    10.9 MB · Views: 17
  • 559A6891.JPG
    559A6891.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 559A6897.JPG
    559A6897.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 38
Second day on Shetland, was a visit to Eshaness Lighthouse as recommended by a couple of people on here, thanks very much for the info. Highlights were a pair of Red-throated Diver seen close, a Bonxie getting battered by pretty much every other species in the area, a Bonxie battering a Gannet as detailed in my post the other day, the scenery was fantastic the weather sunny but windy a highly enjoyable day out!!

rather long blog post and a lot more pics at the link below

Attachments

• 559A7929.JPG
    559A7929.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 24
  • 559A7964.JPG
    559A7964.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 559A8450.JPG
    559A8450.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 24
Our 3rd day on Shetland was spent birding from the car to avoid the frequent rain showers, so didn't see quite as much as on the previous days, however some good sightings, Red Grouse was a nice find as was a Golden Plover, couldn't find a Mountain Hare though still plenty of time!
Much shorter report than previous ones on the blog at the link below

Attachments

• 559A9331.JPG
    559A9331.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 559A9537.JPG
    559A9537.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 559A9580.JPG
    559A9580.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 13
Well I'm a bit behind on the posts! Spending far too much time birding, also thousands of pics taken, don't sort themselves!!
This post is the 3rd day of our holiday,1st day on Shetland, with perfect weather and time to kill before the apartment was ready, we hit Sumburgh Head, good decision, great views of Puffins, Fulmars, Razorbills, Guillemots, Gannets, Wheatears, Twite, Pipits etc etc, Highlight for me anyway was the pair of Arctic Skuas that spiralled above our heads! Also saw a Shetland Wren, question for the experts, is it a separate species or subspecies of our Wren, also curious about the status of the Starlings in Shetland, I seem to remember the Orkney ones were a subspecies are the Shetland ones different from them? Anyway, fuller report and loads of pics on the blog at the link below!!
The Wren is formidable!

Got to see a couple of Orca this afternoon, very special, case of being in the right place at the right time, spotted by a guy leading a tour we weren't on, but overheard :) Light was bad, but sea was flat, obviously pictures are pants, were a long way off, but an exciting moment and chuffed to get any pics to be honest!

Attachments

• 559A7459.JPG
    559A7459.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 559A7474.JPG
    559A7474.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 559A7483.JPG
    559A7483.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 19
Meanwhile I'm trying to catch up with my posts, this one is last Tuesday, a varied day another good encounter with Skuas, Long-tailed Ducks, a Common Gull having a Bath, a Tombolo, Great Northern Divers and all the usual suspects that appear in this fantastic place, full report and many pictures on the Blog at the link

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back