• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shetland 2022 (1 Viewer)

Some very good birds on the islands, River Warbler on Out Skerries and female Rustic Bunting on the Isle of Noss. Just saying … ;)

This post from last Wednesday, best bird seen a couple of Dotterel also a lesson in bird ID as in learn from my cock-ups :)!!
Lots more good stuff as well, plenty Skuas, Terns all the usual good stuff they have here!!
Full report and a lot of pics at the link!

Attachments

• 559A1817.JPG
    559A1817.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 559A1846.JPG
    559A1846.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 559A1890.JPG
    559A1890.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
We visited Mousa Broch last night, spectacular Storm Petrel, guide said it was as good as it gets, though the cynic in me thinks he probably says that to all the punters!!:) In reality it was fantastic, great to watch them whizzing around, couple of videos on the blog that hopefully give some impression of the experience, arguably the high point was on the walk back, a wall near the dock seemed to be singing to us so loaded was it with the Petrels!!! Short Blog post at the link, highly recommend this trip if you are ever in Shetland at the right time of year!!

We visited Mousa Broch last night, spectacular Storm Petrel, guide said it was as good as it gets, though the cynic in me thinks he probably says that to all the punters!!:) In reality it was fantastic, great to watch them whizzing around, couple of videos on the blog that hopefully give some impression of the experience, arguably the high point was on the walk back, a wall near the dock seemed to be singing to us so loaded was it with the Petrels!!! Short Blog post at the link, highly recommend this trip if you are ever in Shetland at the right time of year!!
What did you think of the song, which I've not heard but one description was "the sound of a thousand fairies being sick"?

Awesome red-spot Bluethroat BTW!

Cheers

John

What did you think of the song, which I've not heard but one description was "the sound of a thousand fairies being sick"?

Awesome red-spot Bluethroat BTW!

Cheers

John
Yes the Bluethroat was cool, I think fairies being sick is quite harsh!! The walk back was the best for the song, especially the whole wall seemed to be singing to us, was kind of like a softer less intense nightjar, bit like a soft gropper !!

Back home now, been busy travelling and getting back to work but finally got another Blog Post done, fantastic views of Otter, Purple Sandpipers and yet another Arctic Skua, one of my favourite things about Shetland is you can just be sitting on a Beach and an Arctic Skua can fly in right in front of you!

Attachments

• 559A4653.JPG
    559A4653.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 4
  • 559A4597.JPG
    559A4597.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 4
Day 9 is on the blog, don't get to excited it was pretty much a washout!! Still we were lucky with the weather this was the only day when we couldn't really do much, consequently the post is mercifully short!! Don't despair though I've sorted a lot of pics and am pretty much housebound for the weekend so should be able to knock out a few more posts, when it does pick up severely especially on the Skua and Puffin front!!

Day 10 post completed and though I promised Puffins and Skuas, I went to early, Terns!! We went to Yell nice beaches, scenery and close encounters with the aforementioned Terns the highlights, although watching a farmer working his dogs was a highlight as well!! The weather was sunny and windy which always helps, a very enjoyable day.
fuller report and lots more pics on the blog at the link

Of Birds & Cake the Blog of Paul

Attachments

• 559A5322.JPG
    559A5322.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 559A5575.JPG
    559A5575.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 559A5622.JPG
    559A5622.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
Day 11 Orcas and Red-throated Divers going mental are the highlight of todays posting!! Not sure if the divers were washing, freaking out or displaying to each other, although it was nothing like the displays I've seen before, The Orcas were very exciting if distant and if i'm honest the pics are not that great!!

Fuller report and more pics on the blog, if you've never seen an upside down Red-throated Diver before click on the link below

Attachments

• 559A6222.JPG
    559A6222.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 559A6608.JPG
    559A6608.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
Well it's taking me a while to sort my pics but getting there slowly, todays post is a visit to Unst and in particular the Hermaness NNR, Which has to be said in the glorious sunshine we lucked into was absolutely fantastic, forget your Bempton Cliffs this a proper Gannet Colony, huge!!! Great views of Gannets, Bonxies and of course Puffins everywhere.
I've obviously shown great restraint in my blog post regarding the number of pics of Puffins :) see them at the link,

Attachments

• 559A8377.JPG
    559A8377.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 559A8713.JPG
    559A8713.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Well having been distracted by rare Falcons and other birding opportunities, I finally get the chance, due to the rain, to continue my holiday Blog Posts, up to day 13 now so not long to go!! Hurrah! This was the day of the Bluethroat and an Arctic Skua having a bath!! Plenty more besides though, waders, skuas, bit of history, a bright orange Bee and a few cakes!! The usual!! Full story and plenty of pics on the blog at the link!!

Attachments

• 559A0249.JPG
    559A0249.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 559A0338.JPG
    559A0338.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 559A0528.JPG
    559A0528.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 1
I'm cracking them out now!! Day 14 and a close encounter with some Eider on a secluded beach probably the the highlight, but plenty of other good birds about!! Do love listening to the Eider chattering away, although can't decide on a good descriptive word for it, Sounds like they've just been told some interesting news, Gossiping Eiders perhaps!! Lot more pics and a fuller report at the blog on the link below

Attachments

• 559A2750.JPG
    559A2750.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 559A3045.JPG
    559A3045.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
On a roll today!! Another one done!! A much quieter day after staying up half the night at Mousa, Basically a drive around to see what we could find. Highlight was a White-tailed Eagle we had from the car, which disappeared before I could safely stop and get a pic!! Did get a few pics of Waders and various other birds as you would expect. Love the Breeding plumage Turnstones got to be one of our most impressive transformations from the dull winter plumage to the bright summer wear!!
Lots more pics on the blog at the link

559A4732.JPG

Getting near the end now, Penultimate day!! Actually one of the highlights of our Holiday, we did the Seabirds and Seals trip out to Noss, bit bouncy with a bit of a Swell running, but nothing an old seadog like me couldn't handle!! Well I managed to keep me breakfast down anyway!!!!
All you would expect from the trips Gannets Galore, Bonxies bullying everything, Puffins, Guillemots, Razorbills and much more! Started well with Black Guillemots showing amazingly close in the harbour. Loads of Pics and a fuller report on the blog at the link below

559A5361.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back