• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shieldbugs. (4 Viewers)

Shield-bug, Berks UK

This is a very impressive thread!

Some 31 pages and 6 years ago, something like this was identified as "a 3rd instar nymph of Troilus luridous" - is this the same species?

Attachments

• Sb.JPG
    Sb.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 78
Paul,

As above ID - but i`ve yet to find a Troilus luridous annoyingly !!

It looks like a late instar nymph of the forest bug Pentatoma rufipies

HTH Keith

Paul,

As above ID - but i`ve yet to find a Troilus luridous annoyingly !!

It looks like a late instar nymph of the forest bug Pentatoma rufipies

HTH Keith

I would concur, a nymph of Pentatoma rufipes. The original ID six years ago was my error (hangs head and slinks off).

Still, as the bard said, "He who doesn't make mistakes makes nothing" That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Harry

Last edited:
Nymph for ID

My wife found this little fellow in Chicksands Wood, Bedfordshire 2010-07-28.
It was on a very prickly thistle stem, possibly impaled as it was on the tip of a prickle and was still there 30 minutes later.

The only other shield bug we spotted was an adult Eurygaster testudinaria, this nymph is clearly not its progeny.

Hugh

Attachments

• 60G28F3030.jpg
    60G28F3030.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 56
Any ID on this one, please. It was about the same size as forest but doesn't look the same sp.
I had hoped to get a more 'natural' photo but the bug had different ideas and flew off.
It's probably not relevant but I discovered it when I was collecting seeds from some Verbascum.
Ken

Attachments

• shieldbug.jpg
    shieldbug.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 61
Thats a Sloe Bug aka Hairy Shieldbug (Dolycoris baccarum). It is rarely seen on Sloes but I have found nymphs on Dark Mullein before.
Dave

Nymph - Green Shieldbug?

Only about 5mm so presumably a reaonably early instar.

Hugh

Attachments

• 60H21F3512.jpg
    60H21F3512.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 70
Two Sheildbugs at West Dean Woods

Two new shieldbug species for me at West Dean Woods yesterday (assuming my ID's are correct):

1) Woundwort Bug (Eysarcoris venustissimus)
2) Tortoise Bug (Eurygaster testudinaria)

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

Attachments

• Woundwort Bug (Eysarcoris venustissimus).jpg
    Woundwort Bug (Eysarcoris venustissimus).jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Tortoise Bug (Eurygaster testudinaria).jpg
    Tortoise Bug (Eurygaster testudinaria).jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 89
Yes your ID correct. There is a second tortoise bug Eurygaster maura on chalk downland which is very similar and you need to check if there is a slight depression at the front of the head between the two frontal lobes to be sure it is testudinaria

Yes your ID correct. There is a second tortoise bug Eurygaster maura on chalk downland which is very similar and you need to check if there is a slight depression at the front of the head between the two frontal lobes to be sure it is testudinaria

Thank you for you reply. There were a lot of the Tortoise bugs on the bracken so when I go back I will check - although I expect them to be testudinaria.

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

Is this a green Shieldbug but with winter plumage ?

Took these yesyerday. Landed on my head first so i gently brushed him off and he landed on my bed, so out with the camera

Attachments

• Shieldbug2.jpg
    Shieldbug2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 61
  • Shield bug 3.jpg
    Shield bug 3.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 56
Which instar please?

Found these instars on Alder (I think!)!
Have noticed that quite a few species have red instars so not sure! Anyone have an idea please?
Thank you! |=)|

Attachments

• P9092878a.jpg
    P9092878a.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 84
Found these instars on Alder (I think!)!
Have noticed that quite a few species have red instars so not sure! Anyone have an idea please?
Thank you! |=)|

You don't give a size, but if it's small [around 5-6mm] then it could be a Blue Bug [Zicrona caerulea] larva. In which case the plant species would be irrelevant as they are predators on Leaf Beetle and Lepidoptera larvae.
Cheers,
Steve.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back