• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shipping - Is It Something You Minimize or Take Real Care When Shipping To Others ? (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
How many of us have purchased a pair of Binoculars or Spotting Scope from a online internet seller and upon opening the box your first thoughts are “ Really “ they shipped like this ! More times than not there was more empty air space between the Item received then bubble wrap or peanut packing material. I can not be the only one who has thought the same thing. I also can not be the only one that really gets piss....d off when this happens. So how do you approach your packaging challenge when selling your unwanted optics ? For myself ... I send it out as if I am the one receiving the package. Online sellers who shipped to me just to mention a few this last year to date ...... OpticsPlanet failed as well as Amazon with only minimal bottom packaging . Sellers who met the challenge with outstanding packaging with everything I received were from .... all members here, New York sellers Adorama, B H Photo and Camera Land. Also SportsOptics and Proudpapa’s business ... HoneyCreek Bill & Beak also deserves high marks. I mention Ebay last because they are the worst sellers to receive shipping from. I once received a pair of binoculars just in a box with no packing material at all.

Last edited:
Gwen,

You do pack items very well. Yes I have seen those packages upon arrival, and you feel like really?
I have heard stories of folks sending glass for repair, and arriving in pieces.

Andy W.

Hello,

I have sold three binoculars and had no complaints from the buyers. Similarly, my optical technician has never complained about my shipments. I like a box much bigger than the binoculars with lots of popcorn, bubble wrap or newspapers, surrounding the optic, preventing any movement in the carton. I once returned a binocular to Cabela via FedEx. The FedEx clerk demanded to see that there was something inside a parcel insured for $500. She was surprised to find a styrofoam box inside the carton and the binocular packed in the styrofoam box.

I recently got an 8x30 from goodwill in North Carolina. It was just adequate.

Stay safe,
Arthur :hi:

I really like it when the shippers questions the value of my package and says “ you know you still have to have proof for all this insurance if something happens ” and I respond politely just ship it correctly and you will not have to see my proof of value.

In my experience, with any shipping, the bigger the storefront the worse the packaging. Private sellers are often best at packaging because they care about what they sell. Also on ebay I'd rather buy from a individual who seems trustworthy (after some decades online buying/selling you get better at assessing that) than from a big store with tons of reviews. You can expect packaging to be more sloppy from those. Even with something non-breakable like books I hate it when they come just in some cardboard without any bubblewrap around it. Come on...have some dignity for the product. And it shows respect to the buyer as well. Especially with things like bins; make sure they are tight in the box and/or well-padded around it. And practise tape-fetish. Tape. And bubblewrap. I'd rather have them curse to get into a package of mine with something well-protected inside than think I did a sloppy job.

I've sent two bins for repair this year, extremely over-bubble-wrapped within their case and in more bubble-wrap in a stout cardboard box, addressed front and back in indelible black marker. Thankfully to the UK agent rather than direct to Germany.

Royal Mail has always been good, and so sent the first binocular the mere 40 mile journey from London to Maidenhead first class parcel post, which was meant to arrive within three days.
Becoming increasingly concerned after days 5,6, I started phoning/emailing the agent daily to check. There is only one Maidenhead, I searched, the only possible alternative being Lawrenceville, New Jersey.
Days 7,8,9 flew over...
it took Royal Mail 10 days.

Lesson learnt the hard way, the second binocular was sent Royal Mail Tracked Guaranteed Next Day Delivery; no hesitation paying the extra £15 quid.

Like Gwen and Andy, I'm fastidious when it comes to packing. Three layers of bubble wrap, box crammed full of packing filler to ensure the wrapped binos don't move, and cushioning between the binoculars and hard case (if applicable) so they don't rattle around inside. I always give the completed package a shake to make sure nothing moves. My first eBay binocular purchase comprised careless packing, an objective lens that lay loose in the bottom of the box, and an extremely irate seller. I vowed....

I take very good care to package items I sell on ebay and I've received compliments.
I also received a couple compliments about the packaging of binos I sold here on the forum.
I only had one minor compliant from an ebay buyer who said the box was too small.
However , he wanted a discount I wouldn't give him and I think that's why he complained.
The item was very well protected in the box the way I packaged it.

I've bought poorly packaged binos before. They should especially package those cheaper
Chinese plastic porros better since those can get knocked out of alignment.

In my experience, with any shipping, the bigger the storefront the worse the packaging. Private sellers are often best at packaging because they care about what they sell. Also on ebay I'd rather buy from a individual who seems trustworthy (after some decades online buying/selling you get better at assessing that) than from a big store with tons of reviews. You can expect packaging to be more sloppy from those. Even with something non-breakable like books I hate it when they come just in some cardboard without any bubblewrap around it. Come on...have some dignity for the product. And it shows respect to the buyer as well. Especially with things like bins; make sure they are tight in the box and/or well-padded around it. And practise tape-fetish. Tape. And bubblewrap. I'd rather have them curse to get into a package of mine with something well-protected inside than think I did a sloppy job.

:t:

Unfortunately I already had the 2000, - Euro glasses just flying around in the box, I don't buy anything more from such dealers, the main thing is the money is in the account, how the goods arrive doesn't matter.
Private individuals often put much more effort into packing binoculars.

Andreas

Everything I've bought from BF members has been packaged GREAT! I've had many from dealers come in with a sheet of bubble wrap and the binocular box, pathetic. Cameraland NY and Sportoptics do a great job of packaging. Leica and Swarovski drop shipments are always packaged right! I think Leica probably boxes their binoculars up the best.

Some of the worst packing jobs I have experienced are from Amazon.com. Many times I have received a binocular in a box with no packing materials at all. Most of the top optics companies like Sport Optics, Cameraland and Eurooptics do an exceptional packing job with a lot of bubble wrap and air pillows surrounding the entire binocular. I have bought many binoculars from UK sellers on eBay and many of them simply encase the binocular in bubble wrap very tightly and it actually works quite well. The award for the best packing job I have seen goes to the Leica Store in San Francisco. It was the most professional packing job I have ever seen.

This is a really interesting topic (one which interest appears unfortunately limited to people who care).

Whenever I sell-wrap-and-send binoculars (I've done it more than 30 times in the last couple of years) I basically take the "I'm sending it to myself" approach. I basically put the same level of care I would like to receive. I've never had complains.

As remarked by other forum members, everything bought from fellow BF users has always been well packed. I think the problem comes when you buy from someone who simply doesn't like binoculars or care about them. This has happened to me several times when buying nice-but-inexpensive binoculars (I don't like the word "cheap", because an old binocular that sells at lower price can indeed be very nice) from people who sells all sorts of things. Attached is a picture of a pair of Minolta Activa 7x50 exactly the way I received from an Ebay seller. The binoculars were just put on an envelope (a padded one, but... "Really"?). No box, no extra padding, nothing to keep them safe. Needless to say, the got absolutely out of alignment (I had never seen such a thing, one tube was pointing to Japan while the other one was pointing to South Africa!). I have to say that luckily in every single occasion Ebay honoured its warranty and refunded me the price I paid.

I think that in a way, there's something special about carefully wrapping a nice piece of kit with attention and love, anticipating the awe and surprise of the recipient. A nice package is the icing on the cake. Actually, in several occasions (I've just realised that it was always buying from German sellers!) I've found surprises within the package: from a pack of sweets to a torchlight or other unexpected goodies that the seller included out of goodwill. Aren't those things nice!

Attachments

• Minolta7x50_02.jpg
    Minolta7x50_02.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
This is a hilarious thread and part of the reason why I loved lurking this forum for years before joining.
Do any of you want to sell a pair of old throwaways binos so I can indulge in your beautiful packaging? 3:)

East Coast Binocular Repairs have always sent my binoculars back packaged as well as anyone could expect (large box with lots and lots of foam peanuts) - as good with this as in every other aspect of their service.

I bought once from the Bushwear Global Export Store - they simply put the swaro box in a bubble bag and shipped. It was shipped via DHL so they are a little more careful with packages but it definitely took the magic away from the unpackaging process.

I bought my last pair of binos from a hunting forum where they don't do reviews and came away disappointed as well (box in a somewhat tight fitting box). Thankfully the bins were great and are currently my all-time favorites.

I have never had issues buying from forum members here and on astro-mart and the "shake" test is the most important one to me when preparing a package. I also tape all corners and edges down to seal off the package from moisture.

Also, I agree: this thread is both original and fascinating. A refreshing change of pace and yet another example of how we obsess over our optical possessions.

I once sold an ED50 to a kind BF member, who told me that his Mum, on receiving the package and unwrapping it at her address, commented she 'had never seen so much bubble wrap in her life'. I was chuffed!

Perhaps we should also start a thread on the available carriers, I always prefer USPS over the other two F..X and U.S.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back