• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Shorebird help - Middle Tn (1 Viewer)

SusieRuss

Hi - I'm not sure if any id can be made with these rather rotten photos. The first two are the same bird - a larger shorebird. I put in photo #2 with the Great Egret just for size. #3 is two different species, but I can't tell what. #4 is a photo of a peep in the same area, different pond. Thanks for any help you can give!!

Attachments

• 4P7A8653.1 copy.jpg
    4P7A8653.1 copy.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 4P7A8653.2 copy.jpg
    4P7A8653.2 copy.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 4P7A8655.1 copy.jpg
    4P7A8655.1 copy.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 55
  • 4P7A8663.1 copy.jpg
    4P7A8663.1 copy.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 56

Butty

The dates are important for ID. Could you give those, please? Thanks.
I'm guess that 'Tn' is a state in USA?

Butty

1-2. A species of yellowlegs.
3. The 3? in front may be least sandpipers. The other one might be a pectoral sandpiper - or not.
4. Maybe semipalmated sandpiper, maybe not.

THE_FERN

1-2. A species of yellowlegs.
3. The 3? in front may be least sandpipers. The other one might be a pectoral sandpiper - or not.
4. Maybe semipalmated sandpiper, maybe not.
I agree with this except i think the larger one in 3 may be Baird's. The wings don't extend far beyond the tail but they are within variation. I think the buff face and back pattern is more like that species too. However, difficult to be sure with a pic like this!

Butty

larger one in 3 may be Baird's
Purely on relative sizes, that seems unlikely (assuming the small ones are least sandpipers - if they're anything else, relative sizes would make an ID of the large one as Baird's sandpiper even more unlikely).

THE_FERN

Purely on relative sizes, that seems unlikely (assuming the small ones are least sandpipers - if they're anything else, relative sizes would make an ID of the large one as Baird's sandpiper even more unlikely).
Hmm perhaps you're right. Svensson has sizes as 14.5, 17 and 23 cm for the 3 species [Baird 17]. So perhaps it is pectoral after all.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread