• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorebird in Quebec, Canada (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me with the ID of this shorebird.

I initially thought this was a Ruddy Turnstone, given its black chest and brown / black mottled back but now I'm not so sure.

Is the beak too long for a RUTU? What other bird would have the black chest?

Note there were also Least Sandpipers, Semi Pal sandpipers and Black-bellied plovers in the vicinity.

Any thoughts?

thanks,

Carl

Attachments

• IMG_5340.jpg
    IMG_5340.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
Not saying, that it isnt a RuddyTurnstone with confidence, but:
its a pitfall picture for me, that needs to be looked at on full screen. Although bird has a Turnstone-jizz, it seems to be not this species after close examination:
  • bill is too long and with a slender tip, and bill is slightly curved downwards
  • legs look dar, not bright orange like most Turnstones
  • jpeg artefacts and resolution add to a pattern, that seems a Turnstone-pattern, but something seems wrong, especially the head pattern.

But what is it? I am out here.

Edit: legs seems not strong and stout enough. I didnt noticed this at first, but thats what I tried to express: its a pitfall picture, that isnt obvious on first look (yes, it might be an bad pitfall picture of a Ruddy Turnstone, but I dont think so)

Last edited:
Not saying, that it isnt a RuddyTurnstone with confidence, but:
its a pitfall picture for me, that needs to be looked at on full screen. Although bird has a Turnstone-jizz, it seems to be not this species after close examination:
  • bill is too long and with a slender tip, and bill is slightly curved downwards
  • legs look dar, not bright orange like most Turnstones
  • jpeg artefacts and resolution add to a pattern, that seems a Turnstone-pattern, but something seems wrong, especially the head pattern.

But what is it? I am out here.
Agree with this. The legs look dull, yellowish to me. I think it's potentially a Least Sandpiper.

I passed this over as turnstone on a quick look, but I agree that it isn't. Bill is quite wrong, and the photo-mush has been at work on the plumage. I agree that least sandpiper looks likely - on structure - even though sat on a somewhat unlikely spot.

I looked at the photo for a lot longer this time. It is definitely not a Ruddy Turnstone. Least Sandpiper looks like a good candidate.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back