• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

shorebirds Barbados today (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Thank you in advance for the help. First image shows three dowitchers with relatively long bills. Image 2 and 3 are zooming in on two different ones of these. Image 4 and 5 are one or two different birds with very much shorter bills. I have these down as short-billed D while I am less certain whether I could have found a small group of long-billed D for the first three images? Shortbilled is by far the more common species. (and if I am completely off, please tell me that too).

Niels
Dow 1.jpgDow 2 P1180981.jpgDow 3 P1180980.jpgDow 4 P1180801.jpgDow 5 P1180799.jpg

It would be nice if all in 1-4 were ageable as juveniles, in which case all of them would be short-billed dowitcher (tertial pattern). But... are they all juveniles, just because they have spangly upperparts + no obvious rufous on upperparts (the bird in 2 actually does have a little)? That must depend on the moult-sequence, of which I know nothing. So I pass.

It would be nice if all in 1-4 were ageable as juveniles, in which case all of them would be short-billed dowitcher (tertial pattern). But... are they all juveniles, just because they have spangly upperparts + no obvious rufous on upperparts (the bird in 2 actually does have a little)? That must depend on the moult-sequence, of which I know nothing. So I pass.
Tertial pattern makes these short-billed afaik. I don't think long-billed has equivalent plumage in any age (but happy to be corrected)

Thank you both. I looked back through some pictures to see if any showed something different for the first group. This one might?
Dow 6 P1180967.JPG

Tertial pattern makes these short-billed afaik. I don't think long-billed has equivalent plumage in any age (but happy to be corrected)
Adult breeding long-billed dowitcher has notched tertials (apparently) - which is why I gave that rider about having to be satisfied that they're juveniles (and not moulting adults that still have the breeding tertials).

Adult breeding long-billed dowitcher has notched tertials (apparently) - which is why I gave that rider about having to be satisfied that they're juveniles (and not moulting adults that still have the breeding tertials).
Yes. I looked at the pictures in Sibley and hayman & ebird images. I think notching without rufous fringes might be possible, perhaps even some internal pattern, but I didn't see any as strongly marked as we see here. Here's an example. I don't think this is easily confused with the above:

Long-billed Dowitcher Macaulay Library ML198091921

I feel the (steep) forehead angle makes these clear-cut short-billed in most images anyway

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back