• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I get a scope? Opticron MM4 50 + HDF T (1 Viewer)

Canyac

Denmark
Hi! I am in a dilemma, so now I thought I would get your, well, nudges in one or the other direction.

So. I want a scope at some point. I only have 8x a binocular. I would not use the scope very often, but I like having the option.
I find it hard to see myself logging a scope with me very often (it seems to be bulky and fidget'y to set up tripod and everything).

I found an offer for the Opticron MM4 50, 45 angled with the HDF T eyepiece, offering 12-36x zoom. Price; 540 euro, that is a decent deal. But also really unnecensary for me, really. We do a bit of nature observation occationally, but always walking, rarely spent more than 5 min in one place. Binoculars work fine for us.

But a scope would add a whole new level of range..

The girlfriend states (the truth) that I would rarely use it. Tripods are huge to bring on our 10 km walks, and fiddly to setup during our short pauses. Buuut occationally we do go to a sightseeing location, where it could be nice.. maybe there exists some smaller clamping-pods, that can attach to railings, so that the tripod wont be so huge to bring?? Or just accept that scopes are huge, and save up for a 60 or 80 mm instead? 🤔

Ah well. Point being. I probably should not semi-impulsively buy the scope. Unless you guys say; 'That is a fantastic deal, great choice, get this ______ tripod too, and you're good to go!'.

Anyway, have a nice weekend! :)

I take mine on 30+ mile walks. Light, sharp, super easy to use and a blessing. I also have an 80 and 85mm scope - neither of which travelled around the globe with me. Didn't go to the arctic, didn't go to North Africa, didn't go to the USA but the 50mm ed Opticron did it all.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back