• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should IS be switched on when mounted on a tripod (1 Viewer)

As nikonmike says it does depend on the lens.

In the Canon range then the 300 F2.8 L IS and larger lenses have tripod sensing IS which automatically switches into a different mode when on a tripod. I believe the 100-400 Mk2 L IS is also tripod sensing.

As nikonmike says it does depend on the lens.

I believe the 100-400 Mk2 L IS is also tripod sensing.

The 100-400 MkII user manual I have states the following - "using a tripod also stabilizes the image. However, depending upon the kind of tripod and shooting conditions, it may be better to turn off the Image Stabilizer function."

For what it's worth, I've noticed no appreciable difference with IS on or off when using a tripod. To my mind, unless in strictly controlled shooting conditions there will always be a measure of instability when using a long lens.

Does your camera do video,if so while its locked on a tripod test it by filming a target with straight cross lines on, stabilizing on and off,there are too many variations to be able to accept some one elses results,i only carry a lightish tripod and found IS on helped with 150-600 lenses.

Does your camera do video,if so while its locked on a tripod test it by filming a target with straight cross lines on, stabilizing on and off,there are too many variations to be able to accept some one elses results,i only carry a lightish tripod and found IS on helped with 150-600 lenses.

I use the 7D MkII body but have not tried video with or with out a tripod. Maybe it's worth mentioning that I use either a fluid or a gimbal head so a 'lock down' head situation is not relevant to my findings. As you and others say, don't slavishly follow the findings of others.

What about the older canon 500 f4 lens and macro lens.

Canon 500 F4 L IS (Mk1 or 2) has tripod sensing IS. I would, however suggest that you use IS when needed rather than as a default.

I do not have the 500 F4, but I used to have the 600 F4 L IS and now the 800 F5.6 L IS, and have had better results with the IS off. Naturally there may be circumstances where you simply cannot hand hold/support the lens steadily enough when the light is low - then IS can be very handy!

P.S. I don't know about the 100 Macro - I have the older version without IS.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back