• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should send these Leica in for repair? (1 Viewer)

LucaPCP

Happy User
These Leica Ultravid HD+ 8x32 have developed some very slight cracks/bulges under the plastic of the central hinge. It looks as if the hinge is covers with a thin layer of plastic, and the material under this layer is not homogeneous, but it is bulging and causing cracking. I tried to capture this in the attached photo.

Optically these binoculars are perfect.
Should I send them in due to the cracking / bulging? Or should I just disregard these mostly cosmetic problems?

Attachments

• 5AF3CBC3-48F1-410D-8E92-9D0AA4DC27F5.jpg
    5AF3CBC3-48F1-410D-8E92-9D0AA4DC27F5.jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 434
Send them in, you’ve paid a premium to have Leica bins. With that comes an expectation of quality and service. This shouldn’t happen, give Leica the opportunity to make it right :)

It's a purely cosmetic issue and subjective decision: how much does this bother you, and how long are you willing to do without your bino? Besides the plastic cover, is there anything further that could make it more worthwhile, like adjusting the hinge tension? (My 10x32 is OK but a bit loose for my taste, and if it ever needs service I'll ask them to tighten it.)

Owners used to value "patina" on Leica cameras... still one could wonder how these cracks occurred (left in hot sun, or...?) and how to avoid a recurrence, as I don't think it's a common problem.

Last edited:
Hello LucaPCP,

Leica binoculars are very expensive and these type of faults are simply not acceptable , send them in to Leica for repairs.

To me , these faults show the use of sub-standard materials.

Cheers.

I have decided that for the time being, I am just going to continue using them.
The warranty lasts a little while longer, so I can send them in later if needed.
Optically they are perfect so it's really a matter of tuning out irrelevant things for me. Enjoy first, worry later!
Many thanks for your feedback though.

These Leica Ultravid HD+ 8x32 have developed some very slight cracks/bulges under the plastic of the central hinge. It looks as if the hinge is covers with a thin layer of plastic, and the material under this layer is not homogeneous, but it is bulging and causing cracking. I tried to capture this in the attached photo.

Optically these binoculars are perfect.
Should I send them in due to the cracking / bulging? Or should I just disregard these mostly cosmetic problems?

Nothing pisses me off more than buying /getting a pair of binoculars and having them have a blemish somewhere effecting how they look or develop one down the road because of poor manufacturing. Regardless of price and certainly not with this high end pair of binoculars. Definitely send them packing ! Even if you did not care about the appearance, the possibility of one reselling these in the future would stop me from buying them. The next possible owner would likely wonder ... were these abused or simply cosmetic ?

The warranty lasts a little while longer, so I can send them in later if needed.
Optically they are perfect so it's really a matter of tuning out irrelevant things for me. Enjoy first, worry later!

Worry Later ??? ..... has come back to bite me in the As... more times than I would like to admit. No matter who guarantees the warranty, remember the old saying “A bird in the hand “ or In this case A Bino good to go no mater how long you own it down the road. Remember if your warranty promise leaves town down the road, your in hand warranty goes poof-useless

I just had to add this one last thing. Remember “ Cabelas “ I thought this icon American Outdoor Supplier would be around forever. Then bought out , then for example members here found out their Meopta made for Cabelas binoculars lifetime Warranty went poof. Yea I know Cabelas is not a Leica company, but one thing I have learned over the years never say never.

IMHO send them in ASAP !

You could find yourself needing to sell them or part exing them for some others. As they stand they're virtually worthless,

Get them over to Portugal c/w your receipt and they'll sort out the problem,

... and btw, no idea why it happened

BTW, I have no idea why this problem occurred.
I pampered the binoculars, keeping them in their bag or on my neck, never leaving them in the car.
The one thing I did is that once or twice, as they were dusty from trail use, I rinsed them under the faucet with very gentle, lukewarm water, to remove the dust. I did not notice any ill effects immediately after doing this.

I’d like to know who else has had this problem and more importantly, was Leica able to fix it for you?

My 8x32 Ultravids, bought Sept 2020 developed cracks on the hinge within a few months. Sent it back and the replacement hinge developed cracks almost immediately. Sent it back again; it was returned yesterday and sorry to say I fully expect it will start cracking any day now. Why? Because I bought a 12x50 earlier this month that I used for the first time today and it’s got a crack forming already.

Leica is doing something wrong here. I wondered if perhaps it was something I was doing, but the fact that the 12x50 is cracking on literally the first time it has been taken outside confirms this is a factory defect. I’m so disappointed I could spit. What is the deal here? Am I just that unlucky?

Last edited:
I sent a 10x50 back that was only 2 weeks old for a focusing issue but it also had these cracks in the hinge cover that I mention to them when I sent them back. They sent me a brand new pair and they look fine so far. It must be something with the plastic or what ever it is that’s not quite right.

It's hard to imagine what could produce actual cracks so easily, but surely plastic is not the ideal hinge-cover material. Here's a photo of what seems to be a very common cosmetic defect in Swaro's SLC 56s, right out of the box (and before COVID too).

Attachments

• SLC56.jpg
    SLC56.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 69
It's hard to imagine what could produce actual cracks so easily, but surely plastic is not the ideal hinge-cover material. Here's a photo of what seems to be a very common cosmetic defect in Swaro's SLC 56s, right out of the box (and before COVID too).

Your photo shows just some simple rubbing of the armor over the hinge. Not hardly the problem of cracked plastic.
There is a big difference....
Jerry

I got the go-ahead from the dealer to send them back, but after using the 12x50s for a few days I’m just really, really impressed with everything excepting the hinge plastic. They grew on me fast like a freakin’ doe-eyed puppy dog. Sigh… it’s my first-world problem that I’ll have to send them in for repair sooner or later, I guess. Fingers crossed that the same repair on my 8x32s holds.

@limonabe I just LOVE my 12x50 UVHD+! Fortunately I’ve had no problems with the hinge on mine or my 7x42 UVHD+. Perhaps it’s just a recent problem? I’m sure Leica will get it sorted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back