• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should send these Leica in for repair? (1 Viewer)

I asked the dealer if I could return them after having them in my possession for a month. I received them in early December but only unboxed them about a week ago.

After purchase I realized my 7x42s had those cracks -- didn't see them at purchase as they only show when the tubes are brought together -- doesn't impact function, but at some point will send in for repair --

This rippling of the plastic coating on Ultravid hinges (and subsequent cracking) appears to be relatively common, I've seen a number of examples. Leica appear to have changed their hinge coating on the Ultravid over the past year or so to a coarse textured coating rather than the smooth one they've used since the Ultravid line were first released.

My 8x50's have just returned from Portugal (smooth hinge coating rippling and about to start cracking and issue with collimation) and the smooth hinge coating has been replaced with the new coarse/textured version. My 2022 manufactured 7x42 Ultravid also has a textured hinge covering, my older Ultravids are all smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back