• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should Zeiss Qk aptr be 'loose' ? (1 Viewer)

Just recieved a "floor model" Zeiss Quick Adapter, which saved me $100. Looks in good shape, but I haven't used it yet. Next I need to buy a suitable camera. However, I notice there is a bit of side-to-side play in the unit. When the camera mount is swung into place (at any stop-point, whether behind the scope or to the side), I can "wiggle" the mount a bit back and forth, parallel to the ground. Its not huge, but it troubles me and I want to see if this is normal and if it would affect photo quality. I still have time to return the unit. Or perhaps tightening the three allen head (need the right wrench!) screws would help.
Anyone notice this issue?
Thanks much

Steve

steve_pence said:
Just recieved a "floor model" Zeiss Quick Adapter, which saved me $100. Looks in good shape, but I haven't used it yet. Next I need to buy a suitable camera. However, I notice there is a bit of side-to-side play in the unit. When the camera mount is swung into place (at any stop-point, whether behind the scope or to the side), I can "wiggle" the mount a bit back and forth, parallel to the ground. Its not huge, but it troubles me and I want to see if this is normal and if it would affect photo quality. I still have time to return the unit. Or perhaps tightening the three allen head (need the right wrench!) screws would help.
Thanks much

Steve

Hello, Steve.

I'm not sure I have understood your question. I have a quick camera adapter and I have checked two things.

If you mean camera's plate can be moved longitudinally, lets say, from behind the scope towards the scope, in my adapter this doesn´t happend. Then I have unthightened the three allen heads a bit and it still doesn't move back and forth. It maybe moves up and down a little more.

When you select a possition, at any stop point, it moves a little side by side, but not quite (more or less a milmeter). No matter how much you tighten the bolts, it dosen't improve. Anyway, this doesn't affect picture quality.

Hope this helps.

If you have more questions, do not hesitate to ask me.

milvusmilvus said:
When you select a possition, at any stop point, it moves a little side by side, but not quite (more or less a milmeter). No matter how much you tighten the bolts, it dosen't improve. Anyway, this doesn't affect picture quality.

Thanks for your kind reply. You have described my "problem" exactly, and better than I did. Appearently, this is normal. So ... I will happily decide to keep my adapter. This was a huge help. From my very first post to this forum.

As soon as I decide on a camera, I'm sure I will start enjoying it.

Thanks again,

Steve

steve_pence said:
Thanks for your kind reply. You have described my "problem" exactly, and better than I did. Appearently, this is normal. So ... I will happily decide to keep my adapter. This was a huge help. From my very first post to this forum.

As soon as I decide on a camera, I'm sure I will start enjoying it.

Thanks again,

Steve

You are welcome, Steve.

I wish you a lucky begining on digiscoping.

Best regards.

I have the adapter and have this problem with side motion. It is a problem for taking photos. However, I contacted the Zeiss rep and was told that there are set springs that can be adjusted. I will have to send the unit back to get them adjusted, was told I can't do it myself. Haven't tried sending it back yet.

LG

steve_pence said:
Thanks much

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back