• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Show Us Your Maven (1 Viewer)

Those binos look fabulous, gcole! I think the red detail really clinches it. Also I think 6x30 is a superb format. I used to have a pair of Leupold Katmais in 6x30 but foolishly sold them to fund some other caprice.

On the subject of camo: A guy walks in a clothing store. Asks the attendant 'Do you sell camouflage trousers?' Attendant replies 'Yes, Sir'. Guy asks 'Where are they?' Attendant replies 'I've no idea'.

Maven advertises that there are 15 billion possible combinations of Armor/color choices that can be made to the customization look of their B1 Series Binoculars and I am sure they all look “ Fabulous ” 3:)

i ordered genny 8x33 during the recent sale. i gotta say i still prefer my maven b3 8x30 over the genny. maven has wider FOV, better edge to edge clarity, smoother focuser, is lighter weight, and less expensive. the only thing i thought the genny did slightly better with was glare and CA control. will be keeping an eye out for a backup b3 8x30. i'd like to try b3 6x30 sometime; just concerned about the smaller AFOV.

Strong praise for the Maven! It's been a long time since I've had a look through a Kowa Genesis so I don't recall particulars, but I would be keen to have a look at the Maven and at the new Kite Lynx HD+ or whatever it's called at some point. I don't know when I'll see the Maven, but am moving back to Europe this fall so should have a look at the Kite at some point. I'm quite keen to compare either/both to the MHG 8x30.

Strong praise for the Maven! It's been a long time since I've had a look through a Kowa Genesis so I don't recall particulars, but I would be keen to have a look at the Maven and at the new Kite Lynx HD+ or whatever it's called at some point. I don't know when I'll see the Maven, but am moving back to Europe this fall so should have a look at the Kite at some point. I'm quite keen to compare either/both to the MHG 8x30.

I found the Maven to have strong strong strong glare.... it really bothered me. For $300 bucks more, get a Meostar on Sale or the MHG 8x30 on sale too.... no glare, better bin.

As to glare, I have several Maven Binoculars, B1, B2, B3, and C1. The only one I can induce glare in any degree is the B3, and only under extreme circumstances. Just goes to show the need to see for yourself.

Enclosed is my B2 with Kryptec Highlander finish, Rick Young harness clips, OEM rainguard, and Field Optics Research winged guards. At the bottom you can see the Maven clear glass screw in objective covers. If you look closely, the RY metal clips are attached with the adapt-its that came with the binocular.

Attachments

• IMG_20200828_123223.jpg
    IMG_20200828_123223.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Took the leap during the beginning of the pandemic. Had to wait due to the shutdown, the plus side it was also at a time of Maven’s sale markdowns saving me over $100 off this custom build 6x30.

I'm looking for a lower priced 8x32 and the B.3's are on my list.

Most ratings seem to be fairly high, and I like the solid look and customization.

But some people complained that the eye cups didn't hold position, and that the bridge hinge was too soft so they had to realign them constantly. I tend to steady against my head so the former would be a problem for me.

Have any comments on these issues?

While at it, how do the optics compare? With direct-to-customer marketing, are they really $1000 class binos in the $600 range?

Thanks.

I'm looking for a lower priced 8x32 and the B.3's are on my list.

Most ratings seem to be fairly high, and I like the solid look and customization.

But some people complained that the eye cups didn't hold position, and that the bridge hinge was too soft so they had to realign them constantly. I tend to steady against my head so the former would be a problem for me.

Have any comments on these issues?

While at it, how do the optics compare? With direct-to-customer marketing, are they really $1000 class binos in the $600 range?

Thanks.

Hi T. ... Since Maven became a talking point here there has been mostly positive remarks from owners on this forum. A few here have strongly expressed having a bad experience and would not recommend them. I held off for along time before I decided to purchase my pair of Customized 6x30 binoculars. Looking back I wish I had made my purchase a year sooner. I can not give you any advice on the 8x32 but I can say my pair (6x30) from its well constructed appearance, to the eye cups/eye relief and its crystal sharp view perform as good as any other high end sourced binocular I have ever owned. I have owned China sourced binoculars, these do not look or feel like a Chinese made product. Side by side to the Swarovski CL 8x30 I owned, its just as sharp and well built. As for the customer direct aspect, if my 6x30 had the label Swarovski on it instead of Maven and sold by a Swarovski dealer .... I could easily imagine a price tag to the consumer of twice what Maven sells it for.

Last edited:
As to glare, I have several Maven Binoculars, B1, B2, B3, and C1. The only one I can induce glare in any degree is the B3, and only under extreme circumstances. Just goes to show the need to see for yourself.

Enclosed is my B2 with Kryptec Highlander finish, Rick Young harness clips, OEM rainguard, and Field Optics Research winged guards. At the bottom you can see the Maven clear glass screw in objective covers. If you look closely, the RY metal clips are attached with the adapt-its that came with the binocular.

I'm very interested in the B3 8x32 for compact light weight hunting bins. I've heard good things, with two points that might be troublesome for me.

Some have complained that early models had loose hinge problems, and a few others complained that the eye cups would not hold in place but kept collapsing. The latter is very problematic, as I'm older and steady my hands by pressing bins against my head.

If you have time, could you comment on those issues on the B3? I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
I'm very interested in the B3 8x32 for compact light weight hunting bins. I've heard good things, with two points that might be troublesome for me.

Some have complained that early models had loose hinge problems, and a few others complained that the eye cups would not hold in place but kept collapsing. The latter is very problematic, as I'm older and steady my hands by pressing bins against my head.

If you have time, could you comment on those issues on the B3? I would greatly appreciate it.

I have handled a few Maven binoculars. Between what I own, what my nephew and brother have, and those of a few friends (which we all bought with our own money), as far as I can see hinge issues are zero on the loose side, with some maybe being a tad too tight. As for you resting the eye cup into your eye socket, I can press mine to my eyes to the point of causing pain and they don't move in. That is not something I have has issues with with any binocular I have had. While I like the Maven product a lot, they are like any binocular. For any person any binocular can or will have issues. I'd personally prefer a bit more rounded outer edge on the eye cup, but mostly my Mavens check all of the boxes I need checked. If I were you, I'd order a demo from them and see for yourself, The 30-32 mm class seems to have more posted issues with eye cup extension and glare than do the 42 mm class. So, you will need to see for yourself.

As for a steady hold...cup the binocular in your hands. Thumbs to the cheek bone. Index fingers to the fore head, focus with the middle finger. Beats the heck out of pressing into your eye sockets.

You have mentioned Chinese production in other posts. Trust me here...Maven does not source binoculars from Chinese sources. There may be some Chines bits and pieces in the C series, but the B series is as Japanese as you can get.

Last edited:
Took the leap during the beginning of the pandemic. Had to wait due to the shutdown, the plus side it was also at a time of Maven’s sale markdowns saving me over $100 off this custom build 6x30.

Hey GC,

Late to the party but here you go re showing Mavens.

I think you made EXCELLENT choices!!! Yep, really really like those... :t:

Thanks for sharing.

CG

Attachments

• Maven.JPG
    Maven.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 81
Hey GC,

Late to the party but here you go re showing Mavens.

I think you made EXCELLENT choices!!! Yep, really really like those... :t:

Thanks for sharing.

CG

Hey Cycleguy, Cool armor choice. I bet when you are all geared up, one can not see the difference between your hand holding your Bino’s or the rest of you :t: Which B3 version are those ?

The more that I look at your photo the more I like your armor color choice. My next 6x30 Custom .... I will definitively start out with the Kryptec Highlander Finish.

Hey Cycleguy, Cool armor choice. I bet when you are all geared up, one can not see the difference between your hand holding your Bino’s or the rest of you :t: Which B3 version are those ?

They are 8x30... personalizing the body armor & trim & engraving is some of the things I like about Maven. Don't see much mention of it here; only 3 pics in this thread so far. Wonder how frequently the custom option gets used by the non-forum crowd? It has been around since day 1 so I suspect it is worth offering. Just one of those things to set Maven apart from all the other binocular brands.

CG

These are my 6x30, I really like them, I read some many good reviews about them that I had to have one. I have a friend that bought a pair of B3 8x30, one for his wife and one for him to go to a Safari in Africa after he tried mine. They are awesome.

Attachments

• 20220918_083733.jpg
    20220918_083733.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
We just received our Custom Maven 10x 30 binoculars ….. to our door step it took only 13 days. As I expected, super sharp and bright. From the hinge tension to the focuser just right. Overall build impeccable with clean tubes. The custom ionization paint highlights to the custom cool looking armor ….. perfect. This is the second pair we have ordered, not an issue with either.

Attachments

• 549B1273-1FE5-470D-B318-54820C3D1624.jpeg
    549B1273-1FE5-470D-B318-54820C3D1624.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29
gcole
Nice looking paint job (y) Any other 10x32's they seem to be comparable to?
Mavens line of Custom binoculars, their B series are some of the best MIJ binoculars you can now buy. My experience has only been in the B3 6x30 and now the B3 10x30. Many here have high praise for their larger B series. As far as your question of me comparing these to any similar 10x32mm, that’s a tough one to answer. I really can not but I can comfortably compare these Mavens to both the Swarovski SLC NEU 8x30 and first generation CL 8x30 which I owned. From memory …. Other than the Maven being 10 power, looking thru the Maven optically they give up nothing to the NEU and CL. All three I feel are equally sharp and clear. The Swarovski NEU and CL I never used in low light so no opinion there. Build quality equal to the NEU, both have that solid feel in hand. The CL we’re nicely built, solid but did not feel as indestructible as the Maven. The Swarovski NEU and CL better with eye relief. Obviously the Mavens look can be nicer due to their option of Armor Customization. The NEU, CL and Maven …. all three have different handling characteristics. All three have high end construction. These three optically are some of the best you will find in their price range having the 30mm objective lens.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back