• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Shrike-tyrant - help from ANP Península Valdés - Punta Delgada, Argentina (1 Viewer)

EllenTarbox

United States
We took this photo at a rest stop in this protected natural area. Another birder photographing the same bird said he thought it was a Black-billed Shrike-tyrant. After looking at photos of similar birds it looks more like a Lesser Shrike-tyrant though the bill seems a bit too large for a Lesser. Possibly, a Gray-bellied Shrike-tyrant.? Thoughts? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5613-90 (2).jpg
    IMG_5613-90 (2).jpg
    120 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5615-92 (2).jpg
    IMG_5615-92 (2).jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Looking at the range maps in my ancient field guide, it looks like Grey-bellied and Lesser are the only ones in range. Bill shape looks a better fit for Grey-bellied to me. I haven't seen either for more than 20 years now, so get another opinion :)

EllenTarbox

United States
Thank you, Larry. Right, the Black-billed is listed as a rare species on eBird for this area. I agree. The bill looks more likely that of Gray-bellied. We'll see if anyone chimes in. Thanks again!

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Probably doesn't mean much, but looking at my notebook from 20 years ago, the only Shrike-Tyrant I noticed on the peninsular was Grey-bellied.

Users who are viewing this thread