• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Shrike-tyrant (N Chile) (1 Viewer)

Hippolais

Luca Boscain
Bird photographed in Machuca, not far from San Pedro de Atacama, in Chile, the 30 of October. Unfortunately I've identified it in the field, without think too much, as Black-billed ST, so I didn't take more photos, but now I have some doubts...
Any help, please??

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 43

THE_FERN

Someone will prove me wrong, but I'm not sure it's possible to be sure on this view. We can't see the bill properly, and while the eye seems to be dark that doesn't necessarily rule out black - billed. Likewise, perhaps there is a dark loral line: I can't be sure. I guess black - billed is more likely but...

pbjosh

missing the neotropics
Switzerland
I believe it's down to two species based on the location - Black-billed and Gray-bellied. The undertail should make this Black-billed unless I'm forgetting something?

Hippolais

Luca Boscain
Perfect, thanks a lot!
I've arrived to the same conclusion having a look on ebird: both Black-billed and Grey-bellied are reported in Machuca, but the Grey-bellied should have a much darker undertail!

Users who are viewing this thread