• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 120-300 2.8 (resurrected thread) (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I understand this lens will be available i.e. UK shops from February. I am told (by someone who has ordered one) that Sigma claim that ALL components for this lens are manufacured in Japan and that ALL previous focusing problems have been addressed.

Just wondering if anyone has ordered one and what the best price is ?
Any other thoughts/comments ?
As Roy C. I sold my Canon 300mm 2.8 and have missed it.......if the Sigma is a genuine contender I may be tempted to splash out.

Clifton Cameras have it for pre order at £2799 - if you wait a while after it has been released (March for Canon) I am sure it will be £2.5k or even less (grey importers like HDEW and DigitalRev could be as low as £2k after the initial rush is over).

Last edited:
Clifton Cameras have it for pre order at £2799 - if you wait a while after it has been released (March for Canon) I am sure it will be £2.5k or even less (grey importers like HDEW and DigitalRev could be as low as £2k after the initial rush is over).

I'm not going to name the supplier* but the person I know has it on pre-order and tells me it is only £2Kish (cant remember the exact price he told me).
*When-if he gets it at that price I will let you know but I dont want to put a potential spanner in the works.

I'm not going to name the supplier* but the person I know has it on pre-order and tells me it is only £2Kish (cant remember the exact price he told me).
*When-if he gets it at that price I will let you know but I dont want to put a potential spanner in the works.
I certainly would not think of buying one (if at all) until they have been out a while just to see if Sigma has really sorted out their quality problems.
I suspect that if do decide to get another 300/2.8 it will the Canon MkII but it is worth waiting a while to see if the Sigma turns out to get rave reviews.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back