• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 120-300mm F/2.8 EX DG OS HSM (1 Viewer)

Boogie 16

Hi.
I would like some advice on this lens. I must point out to stop confusion this is not the new sport designated one.
I have the chance to buy a mint second hand copy of this lens at a very good price and i was wondering if it's worth buying. I have read mixed reviews which only had to my indecision and confusion, I want this lens for wildlife and it will be coupled with a canon 7D. The weight of this lens is not an issue, I'am not a pro and do not aspire to be one, but i would like to be able to take good [in my eyes] clear and sharp photographs with a fast lens that's able to take teleconverters.
So my main question is do i buy this second hand from a good and known source, or do i save up to buy the new model, or do i get a canon 100-400mm lens that is not compatible with teleconverters.

I hope there is someone out there that can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in anticipation of your comments.
John

Hi.
I would like some advice on this lens. I must point out to stop confusion this is not the new sport designated one.
I have the chance to buy a mint second hand copy of this lens at a very good price and i was wondering if it's worth buying. I have read mixed reviews which only had to my indecision and confusion, I want this lens for wildlife and it will be coupled with a canon 7D. The weight of this lens is not an issue, I'am not a pro and do not aspire to be one, but i would like to be able to take good [in my eyes] clear and sharp photographs with a fast lens that's able to take teleconverters.
So my main question is do i buy this second hand from a good and known source, or do i save up to buy the new model, or do i get a canon 100-400mm lens that is not compatible with teleconverters.

I hope there is someone out there that can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in anticipation of your comments.
John
I had one of these a few years ago, it was OK on its own but soft with a 1.4TC and very soft with a 2.0 TC.
I sold it and went to a Canon 100-400 and saw a dramatic improvement in quality.

I had the chance to buy one,but opted for the sigma 300mm 2.8 prime.Its sharp with 1.4/2x tc`s & on its own too.

Steve.

I bought this lens to go with my 50D two years ago as an upgrade to the 400 5.6. I wanted something that would autofocus reliably at 500mm+ (- not possible with the 50D/400 and 1.4 t/c even with taped pins) plus I wanted the option of an extra stop at 400mm if I needed it. Shorter focusing distance and obviously the zoom flexibility played their part too.

Despite what you may of read - This lens is sharp - even with 1.4 and 2x T/C - and I am sure you will not be disappointed with the results. When I have seen issues with sharpness I realise have been shooting in lighting conditions with a monopod that in all fairness any 600 mm 5.6 combo would struggle ie 400 iso and sub 1/100 sec. Though I still get keepers even so.

I would however recommend the Canon 2x III converter over the sigma 2 x I have both and there is far less CA with the Canon.

The fact that Sigma replaced this lens so quickly was a little disconcerting - though I can see why if Sigma were aiming at the pro-sports community. Its ruggedness is good but not that I would expect a Pro to want plus the lack of a limiting switch for panning/bif shots was a weakness they had to correct. The OS has failed on me once but was repaired under warranty in three weeks. The reference to the cause being a "plastic" pin in the OS breaking points back to the lack of ruggedness - I am more careful and now switch off the OS whilst transporting the lens on my shoulder with monopod attached. Note they didn't change the optics so it wasn't optical quality issue.

Would I buy this over a Canon 100-400. Yes. No brainer - native its faster and sharper and with t/c a more capable lens than this or the 400 5.6.

Just start using weights as handling it will take some getting used to over a 400 5.6 size/weighted lens.

Hope this helps.

Colin

Thank you for your input, it has been very helpful so much so that I have now bought this lens and looking forward to using it a lot.
thank you.
John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back