• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 300-800mm on a D300...Worth it? (1 Viewer)

Gaz Shilton

United Kingdom
I was considering upgrading to a 1DMKIII + 500 or 600 f/4.
However, since noticing the sharp increase in the prices of these I was wondering, after reading some mixed reviews, if the D300 would work well with the Sigmonster?
Obviously this combo would include a good Gitzo and Wimberley.
It's just that for the price of the Canon lens alone I could get the D300 and Sigmonster probably for less.
The idea of a monster zoom such as this, with, some say, sharpness as good as the Canon primes seems too good an opportunity to miss.
Should I take the plunge?

I've never used the Sigmonster, but since nobody else has replied, here are my thoughts.

I have a 500/4 with a Gitzo series 5 tripod and wimberly head, and the whole setup is rather heavy. Once I stopped going to the gym last year, I put my back out carrying everything. The sigmonster is almost twice as heavy as my 500/4 (I have the old manual focus one). So I would really recommend trying one out if you can, before parting with any money, to see how you get on with handling it. A guy had one at one of my local reserves, and he used a trolley to transport it around. Latest I heard, he was selling it as he found it too heavy and awkward to use.

It's f5.6 which is great at the 800mm end, but not so good at the 300 end. Also I wouldn't think that the close focus would be too great.

From what I've read it's very sharp, and the zoom would be a godsend for framing. Don't see why it wouldn't work well with a D300. Very good value now with Nikon and Canon's recent and steep price rises in the UK. Canon's seem to be massive, infact the new Nikon telephotos are now cheaper than Canon's according to the latest from WHE! Never though I would see the day.

Thanks for the reply Helios.
The price hike of the Canon primes is what is putting me off.
Don't mind the weight as I regularly carry around 30lbs.
Then again the prices may come down in the next 6-7 months.

Ahhhh....Flying pigs again!!!

Don't look now but the latest from WHE - the price of the Sigmonster has increased at what I can only describe as phenomenonally to £7399!

If I were you I'd go for the Nikon 500/4VR - it's still under 5k. That's if they're any left with the dreaded "Nikon supply problem".

Guess second hand lenses are about to go for a lot more money.

i use a sigmonster with gitzo 6x tripod, wimberly head. nikon d200.shortly upgrading to d300. heavy piece of kit, but brilliant optics. a lot of my photography is done around the poole harbour area, for longer shots i use a 2x sigma coverter,[if a good sunny day] with this 2x auto focus will not work. using manual focus is not a big issue still get very good results, you might think with such a high magnification vibration may be an issue,not so. i allways use a cable release, and such is the weight of the lens,only a strong wind poses a problem, which i think applies to any powerful lens. for carrying any distance i use a rucksack. in my experiance using this type of lens in a bird hide is ok but i do get vibration if other people start moving around. easier to use outside if not raining' also more versatile. hope this is a bit helpful in your upgrade.

I was considering upgrading to a 1DMKIII + 500 or 600 f/4.
However, since noticing the sharp increase in the prices of these I was wondering, after reading some mixed reviews, if the D300 would work well with the Sigmonster?
Obviously this combo would include a good Gitzo and Wimberley.
It's just that for the price of the Canon lens alone I could get the D300 and Sigmonster probably for less.
The idea of a monster zoom such as this, with, some say, sharpness as good as the Canon primes seems too good an opportunity to miss.
Should I take the plunge?
Hi gaz, i use a sigma 300-800. gitzo3531s tripod with wimberley head. at the moment i use a nikond200, but am getting a d300.and use the d200 as a back up.Monster it certainly is! but when i look at the focal length and zoom, and brilliant optics,then i know i have a set up which i am well pleased with. because of the weight, vibration does not seem an issue.Purpose made rucksack for this lens with camera attached is-2008.southern office refurbishment ltd worthing. hope info helps .

Up until a couple of days ago the Sigmonster was, what I thought, the way ahead.
Now, with the HUGE price hike I am leaning towards a 50D with a 500mm f/4.
These with a converter, Gitzo, Wimberly, lens cover and rucksack to put it all in is not that much more than a Sigmonster on its own. Shame really. I was looking to set my heart on the Sigmonster.
Still, come September when I hope to splash out, the prices may have changed (hopefully decreased).
Then again, at the moment, Nikon is cheaper still.
Either way, Warehouse Express don't have any Canon or Nikon in stock and haven't for some time.
Fingers crossed they have lots by September.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back