• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SIGMA 500 +convertor (1 Viewer)

Hi Mike

I'm very pleased with the IQ. I tried to post a couple here but for some reason they wouldnt upload. If you take a look at my website in the Recent Uploads section the first 6 pictures were taken with the Sig 500 + TC

Rgds
Andrew

Hi Mike

I'm very pleased with the IQ. I tried to post a couple here but for some reason they wouldnt upload. If you take a look at my website in the Recent Uploads section the first 6 pictures were taken with the Sig 500 + TC

Rgds
Andrew

thanks Andrew super shots also were the Gannets taken at Bempton cliffs? hopefully my lens will perform as good. Kind regards mike

Hi Mike

Yes the Gannets were from Bempton in June this year.
Good luck with the lens I'm sure you're going to love it.
Andrew

Hi Mike

Yes the Gannets were from Bempton in June this year.
Good luck with the lens I'm sure you're going to love it.
Andrew

Hi Andrew we could of been there at the same time I was there first week of June! Went out yesterday for a short with the lens its very sharp at 4.5 I was very pleased. Will take a little while to adjust, meantime I can lookout for a converter. I will also need a larger bag than my expedition 6x. What do you use ? I would like to place the lens and and the body in the bag ready set up. However I am not that tall (5-5) so will lookout. Anybody reading this can you put me in the right direction please? If you can post a photo would be helpful. Kind regards mike.

Hi Mike
I use a Lowepro bag but I cant remember its name. I'm back in the UK tomorrow night so will post its name then. Its basically sized to take a big Nikon or Canon 500/600 mm with camera body attached. Its a little big for the Sigma 500 but its secure in the bag and the bag is easy and comfortable to carry ruck sack style.
Good news your getting nice sharp shots at f4.5.
Rgds
Andrew

Hi Mike
I use a Lowepro bag but I cant remember its name.

It's the Lowepro Lens Trekker 600.

I use one as well to carry my rig (D300 with grip, Sigma 500 4.5) around. It's a top/front loading backpack with good straps and waist belt. Loops allow for additional bags (lenscases) to be straped on, and there is a tripod carrier as well. The Lowepro website shows all the details to give an expression how this works.
The combo fits assembled into the bag (body on lens and lenshood in working orientation on lens) with about 15-20cm extra space on the top. That's where the flash travels. I can leave the flash bracket and flash cord attached to the lens foot, but depending on the flash bracket design that may become a tight fit.
By nature its a pretty bulky pack, but you are pretty much ready to shoot when you pull your rig out. Just clamp it to the tripod/monopod and you are good to go. Takes me longer to strap the Better Beamer to the flash and get this conception attached.
I think that there are one or two similar solutions by competitors (Think Tank, Kinesis?) that are similar in dimensions but not neccessarily in price and local availability).

Ulli

Last edited:
It's the Lowepro Lens Trekker 600.

I use one as well to carry my rig (D300 with grip, Sigma 500 4.5) around. It's a top/front loading backpack with good straps and waist belt. Loops allow for additional bags (lenscases) to be straped on, and there is a tripod carrier as well. The Lowepro website shows all the details to give an expression how this works.
The combo fits assembled into the bag (body on lens and lenshood in working orientation on lens) with about 15-20cm extra space on the top. That's where the flash travels. I can leave the flash bracket and flash cord attached to the lens foot, but depending on the flash bracket design that may become a tight fit.
By nature its a pretty bulky pack, but you are pretty much ready to shoot when you pull your rig out. Just clamp it to the tripod/monopod and you are good to go. Takes me longer to strap the Better Beamer to the flash and get this conception attached.
I think that there are one or two similar solutions by competitors (Think Tank, Kinesis?) that are similar in dimensions but not neccessarily in price and local availability).

Ulli
hi seaspirit, And thanks, I tried the lens trekker in the shop and was very impressed with the internal arrangements, However as I am vertically challenged the bottom laid on my bottom,(ha. Ha). I also tried the latest lowepro flipside 500. The downside was I had to remove and reverse the hood, however the whole lens with 7D fitted snugly. And was the most comfortable of 4 bags I tried. without exaggeration the lens and camera were as if they weighed nothing really impressed with the bag. so much so I purchased it! I do not know if you or others have camo covers on your lenses but as an advisory note. When I placed my cover on the hood it fitted well, but it now makes it very tight to use the sigma supplied cover, I have overcome this by adding 3 narrow 6inch long Velcro strips which keeps it in place.. Kind regards. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back