• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Silene question (2 Viewers)

IamFof

Guys

Does anyone have any information as to how to differentiate between Silene dioica v. alba (white flowered Red Campion) and S. latifolia (White Campion)?

I have read that S. dioica and S. latifolia can hybridise producing plants with pink flowers.

But, are the pink flowered ones actually hybrids of S. dioica and S. dioica v alba? That sounds, to me, a more plausible scenario.

TIA

Fof

aeshna5

Guys

Does anyone have any information as to how to differentiate between Silene dioica v. alba (white flowered Red Campion) and S. latifolia (White Campion)?

I have read that S. dioica and S. latifolia can hybridise producing plants with pink flowers.

But, are the pink flowered ones actually hybrids of S. dioica and S. dioica v alba? That sounds, to me, a more plausible scenario.

TIA

Fof
I would totally dispute your assertion that most pale pink campions are crosses between normal & albino forms of Red Campion. Though white forms of Red Campion do occur they are said to be scarce & I haven't knowingly seen one, but possibly overlooked them.

On the other hand White Campion frequently grows alongside Red Campion so it seems to be far more logical that hybrids between the two are not infrequent & far more likely I would argue.

There are differences in calyx structure between the 2 species with the greener calyx of White Campion having longer & narrower sepal teeth. The scarce white form of Red Campion has more triangular sepal teeth.

IamFof

Hi aeshna5

Questioning, not asserting.

Reason for asking, is that in the garden I am putting together, in W Cornwall, there are both Red & White Campions, and, according to Colin French's, 2020 edition of "A Flora of Cornwall", S. dioica v alba 'are uncommon but widespread and more frequent in W Cornwall than the E.'
I had no pinks blooms during the summer and I believe I have S. latifolia, but I'm not sure.

With the sepal info, you have supplied, I should be able to get a confirmation ID in the new year.

Thanks

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread