• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Silver Y moths on the way north? (1 Viewer)

Allen S. Moore

Isle of Man
I was looking at the website of the Spanish newspaper El Pais today and it mentions that there is a "cloud" of Silver Y moths (Autographa gamma) in Madrid. The article also refers to large numbers in 1997 which, I guess, was the year that there were large numbers of the species in the Isle of Man and, presumably, elsewhere in the British Isles. Look out for them!

This, I hope, is a link to the article in El Pais:

http://elpais.com/ccaa/2013/06/14/madrid/1371211000_881335.html

Hi Allen

The only problem is that it seems that the media worldwide finds it almost impossible to get a story correct. The moths in the images are Large Yellow Underwings Noctua pronuba.

They often emerge in large numbers and 'migrate' into the cooler hilly areas and mountains where they spend the heat of the summer in caves, etc. I can't recall if it was the same species but years ago there was a report of moths stopping a football match in Spain - they covered the floodlights so much that it was too dark to play!

We need more moths in those sort of numbers!!

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back