• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Simon King green Victory 8x32 T*FL (1 Viewer)

The green FL is real nice . I tried one at the store a couple times. I really like the smooth armor.
I just purchased a brand new 8x32 FL. I had one briefly approx 2 yrs ago. Long story why I didn't keep it back then, but
I have one now and used it today for the first time. I forgot how good the little FL is. It checks a lot of boxes for me and I plan on keeping this one around much longer.
They're still making them.
Mine has a 2019 serial# but actual production according Zeiss should be 2018.
At some point these will be discontinued like the 42mm and up sizes.
Hang onto yours :)

I'm not Simon King but I own and use a green 8x32 FL since more than 10 years. o:D One of the first with Lotutec.

I was not aware, that the green armoring is something special.

I just bought it in green to distinguish my 8x32 FL from the black 10x32 FL, my wife uses.

I was not aware, that the green armoring is something special.

I just bought it in green to distinguish my 8x32 FL from the black 10x32 FL, my wife uses.

Black will look so much better with her evening wear, whilst green will be the perfect accompaniment to outdoor tweeds or, in the case of a Swarovski, with a Tyrolean Loden coat.

There are even those who say the image through a Zeiss is green too, but I couldn't possibly comment...

Tschüß!

Tom

Black will look so much better with her evening wear, whilst green will be the perfect accompaniment to outdoor tweeds or, in the case of a Swarovski, with a Tyrolean Loden coat.

There are even those who say the image through a Zeiss is green too, but I couldn't possibly comment...

Tschüß!

Tom
My preferred birding uniform is that of the Napoleonic Imperial Guard. One can imagine my distress.

Tschüß!

Tom

Having given fashion advice about a member's wife on a binoculars forum, surely commenting on scurrilous rumours about a colour cast in Zeiss binos is well within your remit!

Tschüß

Lee

I'm not too fussed about keeping mine looking pretty (bizarrely, I am yet another owner of the S.K. edition - I ought to bring the case to Birdfair one year and get it properly autographed!) but don't see any marks despite them having had a fair amount of use. In an ideal world I suppose I would have liked the black version (later, so presumably with the very latest coatings) but can't fault the green job, which has served me very well. The little plastic alpha is still a formidable performer.

PS. Does anyone know whether the S.K. edition came out after the FLs were black, or when they were still green?

Patudo,

Gary Hawkins would know if he sees this post; he told me he was involved in the design of the Simon King edition. He is garymh on this forum.

All the best,

Tom

The green FL is real nice . I tried one at the store a couple times. I really like the smooth armor.
I just purchased a brand new 8x32 FL. I had one briefly approx 2 yrs ago. Long story why I didn't keep it back then, but
I have one now and used it today for the first time. I forgot how good the little FL is. It checks a lot of boxes for me and I plan on keeping this one around much longer.
They're still making them.
Mine has a 2019 serial# but actual production according Zeiss should be 2018.
At some point these will be discontinued like the 42mm and up sizes.
Hang onto yours :)

Congratulations on your purchase, G G. I am not an experienced birder but love mine for general use outdoors and like the wide field and they are great close up too. I don't know if it's just me but the only thing I've taken time to get used to with these small FLs is getting focus just right at longer distances; I tend to overshoot with 32s generally whereas 42 I find easier in that respect. Close up much easier somehow!

Do you miss your L. 7x42's view and colours?

Tom

Congratulations on your purchase, G G. I am not an experienced birder but love mine for general use outdoors and like the wide field and they are great close up too. I don't know if it's just me but the only thing I've taken time to get used to with these small FLs is getting focus just right at longer distances; I tend to overshoot with 32s generally whereas 42 I find easier in that respect. Close up much easier somehow!

Do you miss your L. 7x42's view and colours?

Tom

Thanks Tom.

Yes, I do miss the 7x42, but it's more for the large exit pupil which provides a very easy view with glasses and also that big window type of view. The Ultravid is a great model and, of course, its colors are wonderful.

I also really like the colors in my Swaro Cl 8x30 (1st gen version) quite a bit. The Swaro, Zeiss and Leica views seem uniquely different from one another IMO and I like them all. The FL has a sort of glow to it. The images really can be quite beautiful through the FL at times. It's also very sharp and clean.

I think getting the focus just right and having to fiddle with it at longer distances may be due to its relatively fast focus.

One thing I find I really like about the FL is its wide IPD range. It makes the FL more comfortable to handle and hold. My IPD is 59mm I believe.
The Vortex Viper HD had the IPD range starting at 59mm and so it had to be closed all the way. This made it less comfortable handling compared to the FL.

I took a long time to make the decision on a good 8x32.
The FL has a lot going for it and I'm feeling very satisfied with my choice right now.

On a related note, should I worry over much about the black obj cover retainers marking the green armour on my FL?

I am inclined not to worry, unless it is going to result in disaster? :)

On a related note, should I worry over much about the black obj cover retainers marking the green armour on my FL?

I am inclined not to worry, unless it is going to result in disaster? :)

CDM, do you find objective covers much use? My old Dialyt BG/AT*P* doesn't have any - not sure if any were made for it; some others will definitely know - and it hasn't led to any problems since the glass is naturally downward facing when not in use.

When you say 'worry over much' it depends: do you mean whether they will mark the armour or that they will mark the armour? From an earlier post it sounds like they definitely will mark it, but I don't know if it will worry you!

Mine came with some covers but I took them off and it just makes the binos seem more action-ready. But then I tend to faff around too much anyway, so taking them off took away one thing to fuss over at least!

Hope this helps.

Tom

I just checked mine (objective covers have always been fitted) and can find no such marks, although I don't know if the S.K. edition has different armouring to the standard green version (but doubt it).

The Swaro, Zeiss and Leica views seem uniquely different from one another IMO and I like them all. The FL has a sort of glow to it. The images really can be quite beautiful through the FL at times. It's also very sharp and clean.

I think getting the focus just right and having to fiddle with it at longer distances may be due to its relatively fast focus.

I don't know if it's just me but the only thing I've taken time to get used to with these small FLs is getting focus just right at longer distances; I tend to overshoot with 32s generally whereas 42 I find easier in that respect. Close up much easier somehow!

Tom

My own experience is very similar to the comments above. I like the bright, very sharp and clean view, and colour rendition - though my own birding seldom gives the opportunity to show this - is very pleasing. Two instances really stand out - observing a Kensal Green jay up close, and watching sunbirds amongst the heliconias in the Singapore Botanic Gardens (although I suppose the latter situation would make any binocular look good). The view closer in is easy and comfortable, but further out becomes more fiddly, or should I say requires more precision, both in terms of eye placement and in focusing. The latter could be because it is so sharp when zeroed in exactly that one is unconsciously aware of when it is, even slightly, not (Roger Vine has commented similarly in his review of the 8x33 Kowa Genesis). The above points notwithstanding, it's a very fine binocular. Super birding tool.

The previous FL I had for a brief time seemed to have colder color presentation than the one I have now.
But I was using the Ultravid a lot back then, so maybe by comparison the FL
just looked real cold. My new FL seems close to neutral. I think it's maybe just slightly cold compared
to my original Swaro CL which seems totally neutral to me.

I read old posts here that the older FL's had a slightly warm
tone in the early production models. Warm-ish tones can make a relaxing
viewing experience.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back