• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Simple factual question (1 Viewer)

MacHector

Hi

A nice simple one I think. How many generations of Swarovski ELs are there? 10x42 if that makes a difference.

Thanks

MacHector

In 1999 the EL was launched and in the mean time 'till 2010 without notice upgraded (I have a sample with three seperate objective lenses and a sample with a cemented doublet and a seperate objective lens).
In 2010 the Field Flatteners came and the ELSV (SwaroVision) came to life in a slimmer housing.
In 2015 the FieldPro was added to the SV (diopter knob could be locked, carry strap attachement and objective covers were modified). AFAIK no optical chances were implemented.

Jan

And the Hawk has moved around. Correct? If facing the bin, right hand barrel for EL, mid-left hand barrel for ELSV and top of left-hand barrel for FieldPro? Is that right? I'm trying to work out why all ELs don't look the same.

Here are the three generations of the EL as described by Jan.
- 1st gen - Swarovki EL reported to have coating and focus speed updates during production run.
- 2nd gen - Style changes, Swarovision and I think HD glass (ED glass).
- 3rd gen - New lug design, diopter lock, style change.

The photo shows - Left is 1st gen, Center is 2nd SV gen, Right is 3rd Profield gen.

01-Swaro All.jpg

Things to look for in order to tell them apart:

1st gen:
- Solid exposed black framework on the inside of the barrels..
- Swaro and Hawk logo marking line up with each other at eye piece end.

2nd gen:
- Skeleton framework with green armor on the inside of the barrels.
- Swaro and Hawk are staggered.

3rd gen:
- Round strap attachments for the Profield design.
- Only a hawk logo.

Here are the three generations of the EL as described by Jan.
- 1st gen - Swarovki EL reported to have coating and focus speed updates during production run.
- 2nd gen - Style changes, Swarovision and I think HD glass (ED glass).
- 3rd gen - New lug design, diopter lock, style change.

The photo shows - Left is 1st gen, Center is 2nd SV gen, Right is 3rd Profield gen.

View attachment 647133

Things to look for in order to tell them apart:

1st gen:
- Solid exposed black framework on the inside of the barrels..
- Swaro and Hawk logo marking line up with each other at eye piece end.

2nd gen:
- Skeleton framework with green armor on the inside of the barrels.
- Swaro and Hawk are staggered.

3rd gen:
- Round strap attachments for the Profield design.
- Only a hawk logo.

Neat summary Bruce

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back