• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Siofok / Balaton (1 Viewer)

ampersand

France
I'm off to Siofok, on the south side of Balaton in a couple of days. Will be there for a week. Anyone know of any good spots in the region. I've heard that Kis-Balaton (Little Balaton) is the place to go. I may well get a visit there. Wondering if there are any suggestions for somewhere a bit closer to Siofok (or other must-visit places in the region).

Thanks in advance

John

Kis-Balaton is good, although there were access restrictions when I visited it about four years ago. You might still need to obtain permission to visit the best areas. On a short visit to the restricted area I managed to see White-tailed Eagle, Squacco Heron, Pygmy Cormorant and Ferruginous Duck. I also spent time in Keszthely, which was good for woodpeckers in particular. I saw Syrian, Black, Middle and Lesser-spotted and Grey-hooded all within a small area on the shores of the lake.

As Andrew said Kis-Balaton is great. Access is restricted but the rangers do run guided trips and boat rides into the most protected bit of the reserve. Unfortunatly most of these tourist trips don't start until 1st June. The public access bit at "Great Crested Grebe" island is well worth a trip as is a drive around and through the reserve on public roads.

If you can get to Tihany, where I was based, there are some good wetland areas that have free acess.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back