• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Sirui VA-5 vs Manfrotto MVH500AH (visual comparison) (1 Viewer)

rpg51

Supporter
I ended up with a heavy carbon fibre legged tripod (the legs are VERY beefy), and a Sirui VH 10x fluid head. What a huge improvement over the lightweight set up I have. The scope is very solidly supported with little shake. Highly recommended.

6chen

Thanks for the comprehensive comparison, it is the exact info I’m looking for.

I’m just curious if the va5 also drift a little when tightening the pan knob just like 500ah? It’s quit annoying when in high magnification.

Hauksen

Forum member
Sirui seems to get a lot of love around here at the moment. Let me add a dissenting voice: I was looking for a lightweight tripod for quite some time. So I got myself a Sirui T-1204x. It looked quite good for use with small scopes. At least on paper and in the shop. But it wasn't. I've rarely seen a tripod - even in this weight class - as vibration prone as this tripod. Pretty horrible, actually. Almost as bad as the ubiquitous junk you find all over the place.
Hi Hermann,

Thanks for pointing that out. My girl friend had a small Sirui, and I felt it thrummed like a harp in strong winds. It also was prone to tipping over, as part of the reason it was so light was that its first clickstop - a selling point because it determines the nominal height - gave it a narrower stance than other brands' scopes. We thought that was unsafe (in our birding context).

However, she replaced it with a light-weight Gitzo, which while being an overall Improvement, still was a bit too vibration-prone for my liking.

My conclusion was that you have to have a certain amount of mass in a tripod to make it reasonably well-behaved with regard to vibrations, but I haven't really put that theory to the test.

(And I am a fan of removing the panning handles, too.)

Regards,

Henning

Hermann

However, she replaced it with a light-weight Gitzo, which while being an overall Improvement, still was a bit too vibration-prone for my liking.

My conclusion was that you have to have a certain amount of mass in a tripod to make it reasonably well-behaved with regard to vibrations, but I haven't really put that theory to the test.
If you want a light-weight tripod, Gitzo is the way to go. I've got the 1545T because I need the height, and it works reasonably well with medium-sized scopes like the Nikon EDIIIA.

But of course you're right - once it get windy (or you use a big scope), you really want a heavier tripod. Check my heavy tripod for seawatching in really rough conditions: Tripod and head for slight female birder

Hermann

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread