• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Six Birds from Central Namibia (1 Viewer)

eberack

Namibia
These were all taken today in Daan Viljoen Game Park. It'd be great to get some confirmations/corrections as most of these are new for me.

In order of the photos:

1. Cistacola sp.
2. Hartlaub's Francolin? --I never got a view of the face, unfortunately
3. Immature Marico Sunbird (or is it a female Scarlet Chested?)
4. Karoo Scrub-Robin (def a Scrub-Robin, but I'm not too familiar with the distinctions between species?)
5. Southern Penduline Tit (not sure what else would have yellow and grey like that?)
6. I know this looks like a Barred Wren Warbler in the photo, but it the field it just didn't give me that vibe and I wondered if anyone else sees other possibilities?

Many thanks as always!

Attachments

• Cisticola.png
    Cisticola.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
  • francolin.png
    francolin.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • Marico.png
    Marico.png
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • scrub robin.png
    scrub robin.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • tit 1.png
    tit 1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • tit 2.png
    tit 2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • wren warbler.png
    wren warbler.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 18

Waxwings

1. Perhaps red-headed cisticola?
2. Agree Hartlaub's francolin
3. Marico Sunbird
4. Kalahari Scrub-robin
5. Agree Southern Penduline Tit
6. Agree Barred Wren-Warbler

eberack

Namibia
Thanks Waxwings.

I've confirmed the sunbird, scrub-robin, and the wren-warbler on the checklist.

-It'd be great to get another opinion on the Francolin, as it's the first record for Daan Viljoen

-Also, how is the Southern Penduline Tit distinguished from the Yellow-bellied Eremomela? Is the body structure just more tit-like?

-Still pretty clueless about the cisticola? I attached another photo that shows more of the head and back.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 16.25.59.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 16.25.59.png
    2 MB · Views: 6

Butty

1. Either rattling cisticola or grey-backed cisticola.
2. White shaft-streaks seem to make it Orange River francolin.

Waxwings

-Also, how is the Southern Penduline Tit distinguished from the Yellow-bellied Eremomela? Is the body structure just more tit-like?
Your bird is showing green on the back, which would not be the case with the Eremomela.
1. Either rattling cisticola or grey-backed cisticola.
Yes. Grey-backed is the same species (Cisticola subruficapilla) as Red-headed, which I suggested. I think it will be difficult to confirm the identity of this one.
2. White shaft-streaks seem to make it Orange River francolin.
You're right.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread