• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skanör, South Sweden 24th April (1 Viewer)

Macswede

Macswede
This is the closest I've been to a wild raptor. I was photographing Avocets when this bird suddenly appeared. It flew round me and then landed in some reeds/long grass surrounding a small pond. Then it flew across the road and circled around my wife before landing and then flying off.
It seemed huge, probably because it was so close but when I looked at the pictures, I realized that it's a harrier and, as it is so large, a Marsh Harrier.
Since then I've been trying to figure out the age and sex. As it was the end of April it's clearly not a bird that fledged in 2022 but it doesn't look like an adult male or female either. It's clearly moulting, especially in the right wing but I don't know whether that's relevant.
I eventually found 2 pictures in my field guides that seem promising. One is of an old female and the other is a second summer male.
My feeling is that this is a second summer male Marsh Harrier. Am I correct?

Attachments

• 064A4731.jpg
    064A4731.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 064A4733.jpg
    064A4733.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 064A4740.jpg
    064A4740.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 064A4746.jpg
    064A4746.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 064A4748.jpg
    064A4748.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 064A4749.jpg
    064A4749.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 51
I would agree with 2nd-s male Marsh too, dark tips to the wings, no barring on the underside of the tail, unable to see if there is slight barring on upper tail. Distinct collar and five wing tips. Although some adult females can also be quite dark in overall colour too.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back