• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skuas, Norfolk (1 Viewer)

JamesA

Crap Birder
Hi all,

These were off the north Norfolk coast last weekend. There were around 4 skuas present, and I shot these bursts after I realised how much I know about skua ID - precisely bugger all.

I have my thoughts as to their IDs but it would be good to get some thoughts from people more experienced than me.

The three pages here are each multiple images of one bird. All images are at 100% and haven't been enhanced in any way.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• skua1_page.jpg
    skua1_page.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 470
  • Skua2_page.jpg
    Skua2_page.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 388
  • skua3_page.jpg
    skua3_page.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 439
The second and I think the third bird show pointed central tail feathers, which would suggest Arctic Skua. The first might be one of those too, although I'm a bit less confident. Small skuas often tend to be Arctics though, I find.

Can't see central tf:s, but first bird looks chesty and not pot-bellied so Arctic for me.

Second one isn't possible id with any certainty imo, but if central tf:s are as long and pointed as it looks like then it's Arctic(/Long-tailed).

Third one has more pot-bellied appereance than first one IMO, but maybe not enough for Pom. Central tf:s looks rather rounded in first image but more pointed in others. I can't really decide but if i have to, i'd say Arctic.

I think the first one is a pom, first place I looked at was the back end. Would not be keen to call it as a pom as it flew by though.

The other two are Arctics. A variable species.

Most small skuas are Arctics with a description needed to county recorder for long-tailed skua.

Can those who regard the first bird as a Pomarine Skua explain their reasons ?

Do juvenile Pomarine Skuas even get this pale, whitish ?
Also, the rear end of this bird looks quite slim and tapered - as in Arctic Skua.

Last edited:
Can those who regard the first bird as a Pomarine Skua explain their reasons ?
The tail projection on the first two pictures in the top row of the first bird. Cannot see spoons though.

I am not sure what you mean with "tail projection" here. If you are referring to elongated central tail feathers, that cannot be the case here. The bird is a juvenile (because it completely lacks a dark cap above the eye), so there should be no strongly elongated tail feathers and certainly no spoons (as shown in Jane's photo composite, and as illustrated by the other photos of bird 1).
What we are seeing in the first two pictures in the top row is simply a narrow tail sticking out quite a long way past the wings - as expected in Arctic Skua.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back