• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skye, Western Isles, St. Kilda in April (1 Viewer)

TheSeagull

Trying to fit in a trip to Skye, Western Isles and St. Kilda next year, obviously the best time would be May or June but due to school that can't be done unfortunately, but I have the 27 March - 11 April free which means I can go then. Is all the wildlife about by then? Would the Corncrake have arrived?

Trying to fit in a trip to Skye, Western Isles and St. Kilda next year, obviously the best time would be May or June but due to school that can't be done unfortunately, but I have the 27 March - 11 April free which means I can go then. Is all the wildlife about by then? Would the Corncrake have arrived?

Really don't know... it was later in the year (July) when I heard them and saw basking shark... end March/April, sounds a bit early, BUT, Skye is so spectacular I'm sure you wont be disappointed whatever time of the year.
Green, wish I was going with you...
Enjoy
g

Yes, I'm trying to fit trips to South-West Scotland, Ardnamurchan, Orkney and the Western Isles in and I thought that the Western Isles would be best fit into March/April. I'm sure it will be good, no matter what I see or don't!

To be honest, end of March is still pretty much winter in North-West Scotland. Weather has to be a consideration as it can be pretty bleak, wet and windy a lot of the time, especially on the Western Isles, and in these conditions you don't see a lot!

Certainly too early for breeding waders, Corncrake etc. though Eagles would be pretty active at this time, just getting down to nesting. Also plenty of divers on the sea still and other sea duck. Seabird passage should be getting underway by mid-april with birds starting to get on to the cliffs but you are still really just on the cusp of the seasons by 11th April.

It is an amazing place at any time of the year, but for seeing the wildlife at its best, waiting till May onwards is well worth it if you can.

John

Last edited:
On second thoughts won't have enough time for St Kilda and there's no point in going to Harris and Lewis so it will just be Barra, Uists and Skye and that gives me time to drive through Corrimony and Loch Garten on the way home, in time hopefully for the Capercaillie and Black Grouse leks! Hopefully they will have started by then...

Last edited:
On second thoughts won't have enough time for St Kilda and there's no point in going to Harris and Lewis so it will just be Barra, Uists and Skye and that gives me time to drive through Corrimony and Loch Garten on the way home, in time hopefully for the Capercaillie and Black Grouse leks! Hopefully they will have started by then...

Obviously they are keener at the start of the breeding season but Black Grouse, males at least, attend leks year round with the peculiar exception of October, when they become much harder to find.

John

Obviously they are keener at the start of the breeding season but Black Grouse, males at least, attend leks year round with the peculiar exception of October, when they become much harder to find.

John

Black grouse lek most of the year except for July and August, when they moult and become almost impossible to find. Certainly in Strathspey birds have become active again by September and in October readily found at morning lekking sites.

Last edited:
Black grouse lek most of the year except for July and August, when they moult and become almost impossible to find. Certainly in Strathspey birds have become active again by September and in October readily found at morning lekking sites.

Weird. Maybe Weardale birds don't know this. I've never had problems finding them July and August but October/November.....!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back