• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC 10x42 vs ? (1 Viewer)

I've been trying to talk myself out of swarovski for years but there are very few things I don't like about the glass. Mostly it's that they are discontinued and not redily available. Recently I was allowed to borrow a set of SLC's in 10x42 and started to compare them to what I have access to. Maven b2 9x45, Tract Toric 10x42, Maven 8x30 b3. The closest performer was the b2 by far, b3 next and then toric. What seems to set them apart for my use is the ability to resolve under low light conditions and contrast into the shadows. Aside from that, FOV and depth is on par with the mavens and close enough with the toric. That leads me to ask if someone wanted a set of SLCs but had a difficult time locating them, what glass would you send them to? Value/price point is a factor so used market is an option as well.

About me:
40yo with good eyesight and currently still have a large exit pupil.
Glass is mostly used for hunting and due to that I prefer slightly warm or natural colors.

Thank you in advance for your time

Snowbird11, the closest you will probably get to SLC in my opinion will probably be Meopta MeoStar, then it’s a toss up between Zeiss Conquest HD and Leica Trinovid HD.

Used market, MeoStars will probably be cheapest, around $500-700 USD, then Conquest HD and the Trinovid HD around the same, if not a little bit more around $700-800 USD.

However if you do consider used, I would move the Leica Ultravid HD (or HD +) further up on the list as a contender. Used, maybe $1,100-$1,500.

Meopta and Leica will probably have the warmer color tones you stated that you prefer (more contrast really with Leica) than the possibly cooler color tones with Zeiss.

Optically speaking resolution and contrast (think performance) will probably rank in the descending order; Ultravid, MeoStar, Conquest, Trinovid.

However, you might also want to consider warranty and service when making these choices. Meopta and Zeiss carry transferable warranties, Leica does not. So if you were to purchase any Leica as a demo or used item the warranty does not transfer.

Last edited:
Snowbird, if you want a 10x42 SLC, find one. There have to be a few left somewhere. Less than a week ago I saw two US dealers who may still have one in a google search. You can never be sure but it's worth a couple hours of trying. SLCs are really lovely glass. And if you're willing to consider used, SLCs have been around for 12 years and should be available.

I recently was looking for a good 10x42 and I considered an SLC 10x42, but they are a little difficult to find new especially with any kind of discount and I only wanted to spend about $1000, so I was in your position. I tried the Leica Trinovid 10x42, the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 and the new Meopta Meopro Air 10x42. The Leica was a "floater" for me meaning the eye cups were too short for the eye relief, so it was out. The Zeiss Conquest HD had great optics, and they were very bright, but I had a ring of light around the FOV almost like I was seeing beyond the field stop, so it was out. The Nikon is bright and has a big FOV, but it had too much CA especially on the edge for me, so it was out. I chose the Meopta Meopro 10x42 because it ticked more of my boxes than any of the other choices. It is Meopta's new model and it is more modern looking and lighter than the Meostars, and it has an open bridge like the Swarovski EL, so it is very comfortable in your hands. Optically I find it equal to the Meostar for less money. Your preferences and physiology are different, so the best thing is to try these four and see which one you prefer. If the Zeiss or Leica work for you, they are also very nice binoculars. I have the SLC 8x42 and I find the Meopta Meopro Air 10x42 to be every bit as good quality wise and optic wise as the SLC.

Attachments

• aton_file_000000000016601_4AFB03FE2CE92A449EA0AFEEF509A7B0.jpg
    aton_file_000000000016601_4AFB03FE2CE92A449EA0AFEEF509A7B0.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 28
  • si34210.jpg
    si34210.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 28
The meopro air looks interesting. I need to see if I can get hands on them.

Out of curiosity, what does a person have to do to beat the performance of the slc? I'm sure the NL does it but is the EL worth the extra cost, size and weight for lower light transmission? Are there others out there that that resolve better in low light?

Also, is there a way to stiffen up the focus knob so it doesn't get bumped so easy on the slc?

My take would be it might take you less time to find a new SLC 10x42 WB still in stock somewhere than have to go to all the trouble of deciding which of the others is second best to the SLC. Going for second best might mean you find yourself p/ex'ing it later when an SLC does come up.

When I got my 10x42 SLC eleven months ago I was more excited by the handling and the fantastic view of birds through it than I could remember. The treatment of deep blacks without losing detail particularly impressed me — also the compact size and low weight. I'd have to say I much prefer it now to the older and heavier 7x42 SLC though I use 7x most of all.

Good luck in your decision and your search!

Tom

Totally agreed with Tom, although I don't know what "p/ex'ing" is. Nothing beats the satisfaction of finding what was really wanted, (especially?) despite obstacles. You can even boast of having got the last, and best coatings etc.

(Not sure what you mean by an SLC focuser being easily "bumped"? Those I've seen are pleasantly stiff.)

(Not sure what you mean by an SLC focuser being easily "bumped"? Those I've seen are pleasantly stiff.)
The set that I'm currently using to compare with has an area on the focus knob that takes less resistance than the rest of the rotation to turn. It is kind of odd because it seems to have backlash in that short area If you change directions. I would think if it were bent it would have increased resistance on the opposite 180° of the rotation. This is a brand new pair that my friend purchased and hasn't taken a field yet. He may decide to send it back but it doesn't seem to bother him. I am just a very detailed oriented person when it comes to these sort of things.

My take would be it might take you less time to find a new SLC 10x42 WB still in stock somewhere than have to go to all the trouble of deciding which of the others is second best to the SLC. Going for second best might mean you find yourself p/ex'ing it later when an SLC does come up.

Good luck in your decision and your search!

Tom
They are probably the better optic on the market but human nature keeps me looking for the best I can afford. The Leica ultravid and Zeiss SF/HT both interest me enough to at least look at them first before I jump on the next SLC I can find. In the meantime I don't want to discount other brands either. The reality is most binos these days are far superior to those that I grew up with. I should probably remind myself of that along my search.

Totally agreed with Tom, although I don't know what "p/ex'ing" is. Nothing beats the satisfaction of finding what was really wanted, (especially?) despite obstacles. You can even boast of having got the last, and best coatings etc.

Tenex, p/exing... sorry, it's my shorthand for part exchanging.

Can't wait to get back to my SLC when travel is allowed very soon.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back