• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

SLC 7x42 arriving today (1 Viewer)

Maljunulo

Additionally the whole business of comparison is something I increasingly dislike for the reason that having more than one pair of binoculars is something to enjoy, whereas too much analysis, in my case anyway, leads to finding fault with most or all of them and then where is the enjoyment?
I personally think there is a great deal of wisdom in this statement, and agree, and think a few in here should take heed to what you say.

mbb

I personally think there is a great deal of wisdom in this statement, and agree, and think a few in here should take heed to what you say.
Additionally the whole business of comparison is something I increasingly dislike for the reason that having more than one pair of binoculars is something to enjoy, whereas too much analysis, in my case anyway, leads to finding fault with most or all of them and then where is the enjoyment?
If it blocks one from enjoying just using his/her binoculars, going out birding, than for sure it should be avoided! I also have the impression we are often nitpicking here on the forum.
On the other hand, I do have enjoyed some time just comparing my binoculars, in part to help me understand what I like or not, or what really matters to me and (at least as importantly) what does not matter that much to me. That is all personal. E.g. valuing ergonomics (weight/shape/eyecups...) and good handling of difficult light (less glare or reflections) more than the last percentage of brightness, or discovering that more ‘3D‘ effect of both my cheap Docter 8x30 classic (Deltrintem) and expensive 8x30 Habicht, both porro’s. And this forum has helped me to understand why or what is causing this or that.
But than, when going out for a walk, I enjoy just having some good binoculars that I like, notwithstanding they all have some flaw: I had a magnificant moment today observing, or rather admiring a hen harrier flying for some time low over the fields, in beautiful light. :D I don’t think having a UV HD+ or EL 8x32, 8x42 or 7x42 would have made any difference at all for me at that moment compared to my 8x32 UV HD(non +) ;) (There is always something that could be better, but hey, that is life and I cannot reasonably afford NL’s etc., which I am sure have flaws too ;)).

That, my limited funding, and the difficulty these days with corona to just find an opportunity to try someone’s binoculars out in the field, is what makes me doubt about purchasing a set of larger exit pupil binoculars. That is also why I posted the previous question. Yes, the larger exit pupil of my 8x32(4mm) is a benefit compared to that of my compact 8x25(3mm) binoculars, but mainly for the improved comfort of eye placement etc., more so than for the, to be honest, relatively limited real brightness advantage at low light, in real life/practice(!). Still, I would like some brighter binoculars for use at (very) late hours, but, based on the above (subjective) experience comparing 8x25/3mm and 8x32/4mm, I am not sure if 8x42/5mm would be enough of a brightness improvement to motivate spending that considerable amount of money on an additional set of binoculars. That is why I was curious about 7x42/6mm options if it would really make a difference in low light (SLC, UV HD(+), FL, Habicht ...: whatever really good one I could find a second hand offer for that I could afford and justify buying).
I happen to have an eye on both an SLC 7x42 and a EL SV 8,5x42 on second hand offer, but obviously I cannot buy both (or sadly even compare the two: distances, covid measures...). That is why this thread sparkled my attention. Thus, any feedback from real/field experience with both at dusk or later is welcome! :)

Users who are viewing this thread