• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC, Monarch HG, Conquest or Trinovid ? (2 Viewers)

Thanks for all the details, Eitan. The difference seems to boil down to not sharing my dislike of "ergonomic" bumps (except arguably on large binos), and probably having bigger hands. What focuser is smoother or best seems to be highly subjective, so I'll accept (both of) your evaluation that the Euro/Meopta is better than I imagined. And there are Leicas (UV 42 at least) that have the same problem of insufficiently deep eyecups for me, at twice the price. I certainly didn't mean to imply that Meopta isn't competitive, but few have thought it better. (I hope you never need service from Cabela's though, they seem to have none...)

When you're out in the field birding for hours, these small differences add up to a more pleasurable, less fatiguing ergonomic experience. I just really enjoy holding the Meoptas, they feel great in the hand, and are easy for me to look through. If I could wave a wand and give them the near perfect color balance, saturation and contrast of the Leicas, the Meostars would be practically flawless for my uses.

I have to chime in as I have tested the Meostar 8x32 pretty extensively and I love this binocular. I can see that by the 'looks' of it, ...somewhat old school style, that some would think it to be bulky but it actually fits well into my hands. The large bridge design makes for a great place to place my fingers and I don't have to think how many fingers fit on the bridge and what does not.

Other than somewhat of a stiff wheel, I love the wheel placement and the feel. I love the armor, the optics is great. I stated that 'this is one understated binocular'! People just have forgotten about this bin and amazingly is one of two top bins for me at the $1200 or under option. And you can get this bin on sale now too as they are introducing a newer version sometime down the road. So if you want excellent glass for a reduced price, now is the time to get the MeoStar. The 8x32's are hard to come by as of now, so good luck.

Thanks for all the details, Eitan. The difference seems to boil down to not sharing my dislike of "ergonomic" bumps (except arguably on large binos), and probably having bigger hands. What focuser is smoother or best seems to be highly subjective, so I'll accept (both of) your evaluation that the Euro/Meopta is better than I imagined.

Just to be clear, I'm basing my judgement on the single sample I have. I fully believe that there are some Meopta Meostars out there with stiffer focus wheels, certainly there is sample variation with both the Meopta and the Leicas (the focuser smoothness on the earlier Ultravids was a common point of complaint).

Also, like I said I don't find it to be a top notch focuser in terms of smoothness or focusing speed, but it's "good enough" and the ergonomics (physical size, position, and how the index finger naturally ends up on top when you hold the binoculars) are what's really great about it.

And there are Leicas (UV 42 at least) that have the same problem of insufficiently deep eyecups for me, at twice the price. I certainly didn't mean to imply that Meopta isn't competitive, but few have thought it better. (I hope you never need service from Cabela's though, they seem to have none...)

Yes of course, I hopefully conveyed sufficiently how I deem these to be very personal / subjective judgments.

And, unfortunately, I DO need service on the Cabelas Euros... I'm the one who started the recent thread about their lack of warranty coverage :(

Just to be clear, I'm basing my judgement on the single sample I have. I fully believe that there are some Meopta Meostars out there with stiffer focus wheels, certainly there is sample variation with both the Meopta and the Leicas (the focuser smoothness on the earlier Ultravids was a common point of complaint).

Also, like I said I don't find it to be a top notch focuser in terms of smoothness or focusing speed, but it's "good enough" and the ergonomics (physical size, position, and how the index finger naturally ends up on top when you hold the binoculars) are what's really great about it.

Yes of course, I hopefully conveyed sufficiently how I deem these to be very personal / subjective judgments.

And, unfortunately, I DO need service on the Cabelas Euros... I'm the one who started the recent thread about their lack of warranty coverage :(

My initial order for a 8x32 Meostar had to be sent back as it had 'clunky, chunky...' whatever you want to call it, within the focus wheel. I tried to work it in and move it around but it never really got beyond that chunkiness.

I ordered in another pair and it worked well. Not as smooth as other binoculars though. Smooth but not microscope smooth.

I wonder if some stores or online outlets purchase 'seconds' or 'good buys' from the factory. They will pawn them off on someone, but not me, if that is the case.

Hi All, Thnx for all ur help. Another small help needed. I wanna begin with raptor photography, Im a newbie so Can u plz suggest me a camera and lens.. How much size should i buy 400mm - 600mm or more? I hve Nikon P900 but wat i hve read it has a small sensor and therefore slow.. With increase in zoom details, details and clarity begin to miss... Its slow it seems. Sorry for posting it here which was for Binoculars unfortunately but i did not receive any response on my original post. Neva used SLR or lens but im quick to learn. Also budget is limited to 5k -10k USD...Incase for a quality pic i need more budget then please let me knw :) Thnx

Last edited:
I have the impression that those who want to shoot BIFs on a budget choose a DX/APS-C camera for its 1.5x crop making a 500mm lens 750. (A 35mm sensor can do likewise with 45mp but that's more expensive.) Nikon has a handholdable 500mm PF lens or a 200-500 zoom, and I'm sure there are Canon equivalents, total cost well within your range. Of course you're still going to want those raptors low...

I have the impression that those who want to shoot BIFs on a budget choose a DX/APS-C camera for its 1.5x crop making a 500mm lens 750. (A 35mm sensor can do likewise with 45mp but that's more expensive.) Nikon has a handholdable 500mm PF lens or a 200-500 zoom, and I'm sure there are Canon equivalents, total cost well within your range. Of course you're still going to want those raptors low...

Thanx a lot for ur help.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back