• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC range to be discontinued by Swarovski! (1 Viewer)

Also see the positive comments about the current production SLC 8x42 verses the NL 8x42, from the Polish poster 3mnich...
Interesting. Curious that he wasn't equally impressed by the latest (or was it?) 10x42 SLC. Is this once again the mysterious beauty some see in lower power models, like many 7x, or the 8x56 SLC?

I think it will be interesting to see the new CL models, in both 8 and 10x42 when they are introduced.

The SLC model was not without issues. I recall asking to see a 10x42 SLC model from the showcase a
few years ago at a retailer. I was amazed when first handling this one, the focuser was stuck, and needed
some force to get it going. I told the clerk, and told him it should be sent back to Swarovski, as this was
not normal.

I like Swarovski binoculars, and have around a dozen here someplace......;)

Jerry

In the end most will eventually go for the NL, it is just a matter of time.

Andy W.

Yes, because people and sheep have a lot in common. The grass seems always greenest where the crowds are.

The NL being a flat field will have the same horrible rendering of space as their predecessors. Whereas the SLC 8x42 almost renders as deep as an AK prism glass.

Last edited:
For some the flat field and compression out, that is fine, however there are sufficient not flat field glass to use. I just do not get the hype of the SLC in 42mm models, I have the 10X56, and 15X56 SLCs and to me the large aperture models are superior to the 42mm class. I feel that the Meopta Meostar models are as good as the SLC models in 42mm.
Also I will take a Noctivid over the SLC every day of the week. My 2C.

Andy W.

Hi Tobias,

You've summarized my thoughts very well, although I have no issue with the focuser on my 8x42 SLC-HD.

Long live field curvature! B :)

Cheers,
Ed

I'd have to say I feel the same if not quite so passionately. I absolutely love everything about my SLC 8x42 and also 10x - even if some say the cosmetic appearance is one only a mother could love! The focus is more resistant but still feels very good - it's just different, to my way of thinking. Colour and contrast are gorgeous, and definition and view far out to the edges.

Tom

Interesting. Curious that he wasn't equally impressed by the latest (or was it?) 10x42 SLC. Is this once again the mysterious beauty some see in lower power models, like many 7x, or the 8x56 SLC?

Interestingly, Roger Vine of Scope Views, normally quite a flat field advocate (astronomy), writes a very positive review of the SLC 10x42. It's a lovely bit of glass and easy to handle if you are OK with slow focusing.

Tom

I think it will be interesting to see the new CL models, in both 8 and 10x42 when they are introduced.
Is a CL 42 known to be coming, to replace the SLC? I still haven't heard confirmation (from Swaro) that SLC 42s are being discontinued, in fact there have been denials.

Is a CL 42 known to be coming, to replace the SLC? I still haven't heard confirmation (from Swaro) that SLC 42s are being discontinued, in fact there have been denials.

That discussion has been around, so some day, we may have the CL, EL and
the NL series of Swarovski binoculars.

Those should fill the current lineup, except for 56mm, and Swarovski will keep
making the big eyes, the 15x56, the leader in class. ;)

Jerry

For some the flat field and compression out, that is fine, however there are sufficient not flat field glass to use. I just do not get the hype of the SLC in 42mm models, I have the 10X56, and 15X56 SLCs and to me the large aperture models are superior to the 42mm class. I feel that the Meopta Meostar models are as good as the SLC models in 42mm.
Also I will take a Noctivid over the SLC every day of the week. My 2C.

Andy W.

Interesting, of course it is both a matter of taste, but - as always - also of sample quality.

I have dismissed the SLC8x42 when I tested it in 2015 as not being up to the quality of other alpha bins. A good upper middle class bin but overpriced here in Germany. I only ordered one recently because the dealer claimed to have the previous model as a demo, but the latest model arrived.

The SLC I have now makes my Noctivid´s images look a bit oppressive, oversharp, dark and flat where the SLC´s imagery is friendly, deep, airy, transparent. SLC almost has an AK prism look. Quite an achievement. Nikon EDG is outclassed, too. Ease of view is by far the best in the SLC, as Nocti gives me black outs in very bright light and Nikon EDG always needs precise IPD.

Now that was all very unexpected, but I am not complaining.

Interesting, of course it is both a matter of taste, but - as always - also of sample quality.

I have dismissed the SLC8x42 when I tested it in 2015 as not being up to the quality of other alpha bins. A good upper middle class bin but overpriced here in Germany. I only ordered one recently because the dealer claimed to have the previous model as a demo, but the latest model arrived.

The SLC I have now makes my Noctivid´s images look a bit oppressive, oversharp, dark and flat where the SLC´s imagery is friendly, deep, airy, transparent. SLC almost has an AK prism look. Quite an achievement. Nikon EDG is outclassed, too. Ease of view is by far the best in the SLC, as Nocti gives me black outs in very bright light and Nikon EDG always needs precise IPD.

Now that was all very unexpected, but I am not complaining.
I happen to think these things are sometimes less about chemistry or physics but just pure biology....something that feels right on the eye and brain but cannot always be explained or reasoned by normal scientific analysis. I guess that's what's makes us human!

Tobias,

That is good that you prefer the SLC 8X42 to the others, perhaps your eyes have found the one.

Andy W.
Maybe as I'm always looking for 3D pop, no matter which glass - stills, cinematography, binoculars. But I suspect a more technical evaluation of image high fidelity would also suggest the SLC is a better bin than the Nocti...

As quoted by Sollas above

"I happen to think these things are sometimes less about chemistry or physics but just pure biology....something that feels right on the eye and brain but cannot always be explained or reasoned by normal scientific analysis. I guess that's what's makes us human!"

I tend to agree, but think that psychology is an equally important driving factor. Our brain is the the end optical instrument and our experience, expectations, education, and notions I think are of equal importance in driving what we see.

Last edited:
As quoted by Sollas above

"I happen to think these things are sometimes less about chemistry or physics but just pure biology....something that feels right on the eye and brain but cannot always be explained or reasoned by normal scientific analysis. I guess that's what's makes us human!"

I tend to agree, but think that psychology is an equally important driving factor. Our brain is the the end optical instrument and our experience, expectations, education, and notions I think are of equal importance in driving what we see.
I´m not sure your point of view makes much sense from the standpoint of evolutionary biology - too much of your notions etc. influencing your vision and you're dead or in psychiatry.

Is the SLC 10x56 better in CA correction than Meostar 12x50 HD?
I thought the Meostar was supposed to be quite good itself? I can't make the comparison not having tried it, but I consider the SLC 10x56 excellent. I've never noticed CA and am unable to provoke it just now on branches against a bright overcast sky, even around the edge where I can clearly see some in my 10x32 UVHD+. (I confess I'm not the most sensitive to CA.)

By the way, re: the highly praised and discontinued SLC 8x42, B&H now has their remaining stock marked down to $1399.

I've just heard from a very reputable source that Swarovski are to discontinue the SLC range of binoculars.
Apparently, they will no longer be manufactured after existing stock has been sold. If so, I can only imagine this will come as a shock and disappointment to many.
Clearly, this is in response to the new NL along with the subsequent devaluation of the EL range.

Can anyone else confirm this or heard similar rumours?

I haven't seen any official announcement, but the new Kahles Helia S 42s look like SLC clones. So the SLCs 42s at least will live on as two eyed, two striped purple people eaters. :)

Attachments

• KAHLES_HeliaS42_I.png
    KAHLES_HeliaS42_I.png
    511.4 KB · Views: 14
It was already announced on BF a little time ego, that the SLC 42 would disappear from the Swarovski programme and that this binocular from now on would be available by Kahles, a Swarovski owned optical company, that is in fact much older than the binocular branch of Swarovski itself.
Gijs van Ginkel

I haven't seen any official announcement, but the new Kahles Helia S 42s look like SLC clones. So the SLCs 42s at least will live on as two eyed, two striped purple people eaters. :)

Hi Brock
They are indeed the same binocular as far as I’ve been told.
I’m slightly disappointed they didn’t stick with their trademark soft brown colour and add in a rustic leather harness.... now that would have been interesting.
Not sure they’ve got the design right mind you. I would have thought the bright orange stripe might prove to be a bit visually distracting. However I’m sure their design and marketing people have thought it through.
Let’s wait and see..... July I believe!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back