• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Slender lowland raptor from central Peru (1 Viewer)

Thibaud

Hi again,

Here's one more from Paujil (Pasco, central Peru), about 400 masl, seen along a river just around sunset.
I tried to get closer but the light failed rapidly and this was the best shot I managed.
I suspect it's either an Accipiter or a Micrastur, which is frustrating as any of the likely candidates would be new for my Peruvian list.
But, with such a crappy photo, it's beyond my ID skills. Can any of the raptor wizards on here ID it or will have to stay as a ??

As always, many thanks in advance.

T

Attachments

• IMG_6352.jpg
    IMG_6352.jpg
    651.5 KB · Views: 59

THE_FERN

Some kind of kite? Ictinia plumbea? (A very uneducated guess.)
I'm struggling with this one. I don't think plumbeous kite for 2 reasons: the relatively long tail without obvious protruding wing tips and the general proportions--the pigeon chested effect. On the other hand, the apparent dark eye, tiny bill and peaked forehead look good. Structure wise, something like bicoloured hawk fits but I'd expect to see evidence of the bright eyes. For forest falcons I'd similarly expect to see some evidence of the cere and bill shape doesn't fit.

Andy Adcock

England
I'm struggling with this one. I don't think plumbeous kite for 2 reasons: the relatively long tail without obvious protruding wing tips and the general proportions--the pigeon chested effect. On the other hand, the apparent dark eye, tiny bill and peaked forehead look good. Structure wise, something like bicoloured hawk fits but I'd expect to see evidence of the bright eyes. For forest falcons I'd similarly expect to see some evidence of the cere and bill shape doesn't fit.
We'll never really know but this is where my £1 would be.

Jacana

Will Jones
Hungary
I think this is fine for Bicolored Hawk. I don't think the structure is right for a Forest Falcon or a Kite. The only other option would be Grey-breasted Hawk, but that would be a) rather remarkable and b) not contrasting enough.

Andy Adcock

England
I think this is fine for Bicolored Hawk. I don't think the structure is right for a Forest Falcon or a Kite. The only other option would be Grey-breasted Hawk, but that would be a) rather remarkable and b) not contrasting enough.
Mirrors my thoughts.

Thibaud

Many thanks to all of you for weighing in!
I'd originally thought/hoped this was a forest-falcon, but as I looked at the photo again before uploading it here, Accipiter did seem the better fit.

Users who are viewing this thread