• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slight-vignetting with TE-11WZ on Kowa 883 post 38X? (1 Viewer)

mskb

Everyone,

I have a sharp image circle boundary until about 39X on the TE11WZ + K883. Beyond that, I observe slight vignetting that stays on until the end, 60X. Eye cup adjustments doesn't get rid of it. Is this common?

Thanks,
Kumar

Hi Kumar,

This has been mentioned before, but I don't think anyone would notice it in field use. With the eyepiece detached I see the onset of vignetting at about 50x.
At and above this magnification the AFoV is around 68°, so the small amount of vignetting is a very minor defect compared to many other eyepieces.
The TE-11WZ achieves a very respectable 57° AFoV at 25x, is parfocal throughout the range and has very low distortion, field curvature and astigmatism.

John

For most zoom eyepieces the fieldstop is only in sharp focus for part of the zoom range. Apparent vignetting at high magnifications is probably just the field stop going out of focus. Sometimes at the very lowest magnifications there is some actual vignetting of the FOV as the fieldstop moves up close to the negative field group at the front.

For most zoom eyepieces the fieldstop is only in sharp focus for part of the zoom range. Apparent vignetting at high magnifications is probably just the field stop going out of focus. Sometimes at the very lowest magnifications there is some actual vignetting of the FOV as the fieldstop moves up close to the negative field group at the front.
Henry,

So the field stop on the Kowa zoom is internal? Would this be the case with other eyepieces, for instance short focal lengths with longer ER and a built-in Barlow?
Some years ago I wanted to achieve minimum magnification (and maximum exit pupil) with my ATM 65HD. The "window" which seals the body has a diameter of 27 mm, so I would have expected vignetting with a 24 mm Panoptic or 32 mm Plössl with their 27 mm field stops. The next best thing was a 28 mm Edmund RKE with 23,3 mm field stop. This gives 16,5x magnification and a 4 mm exit pupil and also works very well on the 883 for 18x and 5 mm exit pupil, although the "window" is just 25 mm diameter.

Regards,
John

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back