• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Slovenia - Yellowhammer and Water Pipit? (1 Viewer)

Paul Collins

Hi,

My friend saw these birds yesterday in Slovenia, respectively on Mali Stol and Mangartsko Setlo.

Is this a juvenile Yellowhammer? If so, why?

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

And is this a Water Pipit? This bird is apparently very common on Mt Mangart but the bird seems to be in full winter plumage despite it being August.

FullSizeRender (4).jpg
FullSizeRender (5).jpg

Many thanks,

Paul

Simon Wates

Tricky - probably why you've had no replies - come on guys and Jane! ;) Photos 2 and 3 seem to show Water Pipit - a juv. with growing tail feathers but the lack of an obvious super is bothering me. The first photo has me foxed - that yellow/orange colour must be a photo artefact - any more pics?

Coronatus

For me the first is another Pipit. The yellow may be a camera problem?
As to whether they are Water Pipits, the pink legs bother me.

kuzeycem

Medicinal Birding
Turkey
The first one has a bunting bill and typical ear-crescent of Emberiza buntings. I would guess it to be a dull Yellowhammer, or maybe a juvenile male acquiring colours?

Paul Collins

I've uploaded 3 more photos of the bunting, offering different angles from the previous photos. The yellow is the colouration of the bird and not a camera artefact or edit distortion.

FullSizeRender (7).jpg
FullSizeRender (8).jpg
FullSizeRender (9).jpg

As for the pipit, meadow pipit is a passage migrant in Slovenia. Water Pipit is a common breeding species on Mangart. This bird was seen at almost 2,100 metres high in the Julian Alps.

Meadow Pipit also seems to be out of range here. See attached Birdguides distribution map.

Attachments

• 118031_M001_MeadowPipit.jpg
    118031_M001_MeadowPipit.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 25

Simon Wates

Seeing these new photos its clearly (as Kuzeykem says) an Emberiza and Yellowhammer seems the most likely - I defer though!

I can't see a Meadow Pipit (no obvious flank streaking for eg) for the other bird and Water seems the best fit - not completely sure about its aging - maybe a moulting adult - the lack of a clear super is worrying and could be due to post breeding moult (?).

Users who are viewing this thread