• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small brown bird in Montreal, Canada, September (1 Viewer)

Sporky

Hey everyone!
I just downloaded Audubon and Merlin ID a few weeks ago and I've been happy a lot of fun. Never really looked at birds before. Just got a monocular too so that I can have more fun !
So, there are only a handful of species around my apartment (ring billed gull, crow, and LOTS of song sparrows), but this morning a fourth made its appearance.
It's a bit bigger than the sparrows, has a longer, straight beak, and is a little fat. When it sings, I can see throat hairs stand out. What stumps me is the beak and the thorough black and white spotting on the belly, with some on the back as well on the half closest to the head.
I took a pic with my cellphone and monocular, it's really the best I could do. The beak isn't shown, but it's closer to piper than to sparrow.
Halp plz! :)
It's got a 0.5 second high whistle call, definitely longer than my sparrows and without vibrations.
I really couldn't see any special colour. It's also got a song reminiscent of mourning doves, 3 notes, but very short. The hermit thrush is similar, but the black is not nearly as prominent. I think the closest I'm getting right now is Swainson thrush 's high whine . I'm stuck!
Thank you all
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20190916_095235-01.jpeg
    20190916_095235-01.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 30
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back