• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small comment on Chrysuronia oenone josephinae (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Today we can find in HBW Alive on Chrysuronia oenone josephinae:

“This species has been dedicated by MM. Bourcier and Mulsant to Madame Julien Lacroix [i.e. Joséphine Lacroix]” (Gould 1861) (subsp. Chrysuronia oenone).

Nothing wrong on this as OD tells us exactly the same.

But here we have at least some more information on Julien Lacroix.

Cet oiseau a été dédié à madame Joséphine, épouse de M. Julien Lacroix, l'un des hommes les plus honorables des montagnes du Beaujolais. Nommé député en 1848, il avait été le bienfaiteur de Boucier. Ses qualités du cœur, sa bonté et sa générosité rendront sa mémoire toujours chère à ceux qui l'ont connu, et surtout aux malheureux, dont sa main était toujours prête à soulager la misère.

Additionally Mulsant mentioned Joséphine Mulsant wife of Fleury Mulsant (but I assume the real tribute is only to Joséphine Lacroix).

More on Lacroix here.

Last edited:
More on Lacroix here.

But he might be born 1801 if I read here. I am wondering if the Rue Julien Lacroix in Paris is dedicated to him or another person with the same name?

Anyway found as well in Annales de L'Académie de Mácon:

Après sa mort, survenue en 1822, le château et la terre de Tramayes passèrent à son fils Elie-Jean Bruys, maire de Tramayes et conseiller général, qui fut membre de la Haute Cour de Justice réunie à Versailles en 1849 pour juger les accusés de juin 1848. Il mourut célibataire en 1849.
Le château passa à sa sœur, Anne Bruys, qui avait épousé en 1825 Augustin Lacroix, maire de La Clayette et député de Saône; Loire, frère de Julien Lacroix, député du Rhône, tous deux amis de Lamartine. See here

So this castle inheited by Anne Bruys married with the brother of Julien Lacroix. The brother was mayor from La Clayette and deputy from Saône. Augustin and Julien both friends of Alphonse de Lamartine.

I known nothing new on Joséphine.

Last edited:
But he might be born 1801 if I read here.
Charles Jullien Lacroix, born 10 Germinal, "an 8 de la République française une et indivisible" at 10 PM at Saint-Vincent-de-Reins, Rhône, son of Pierre Lacroix and Louise Marie Deville, his wife in lawful marriage: [here], image #17, on the left. This is 31 Mar 1800, as on Wikipedia.
(And his brother is Claude Marie Augustin Lacroix, born 29 Frimaire of an 12, at 7 PM, same location, same father and mother: [here], image #3, upper left. = 20 Dec 1803.)

PS: also [here]. (Click on "Biographies" to see more details about him.)

Last edited:
The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Golden-tailed Sapphire ssp. Chrysuronia oenone josephinae Bourcier & Mulsant, 1848
Madame Joséphine Lacroix (DNF) had a husband, Julien, who was a deputy from Beaujolais in the French parliament (1848) and had been a benefactor to Bourcier (q.v.) and Joséphine Mulsant, the wife of Fleury Mulsant, counsel to the Court of Appeal in Chambéry.

But of course her life dates and maiden name Labruyère still missing there.

Benoite Marguerite Joséphine Labruyère (1805-1874)

Born
22 June 1805 (she was a twin!)
Death 20 June 1874

See attached

Attachments

• jos.JPG
    jos.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 5
  • jos1.JPG
    jos1.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
From what I read born La Chapelle-de-Guinchay (Saône-et-Loire) and died in Mâcon (Saône-et-Loire).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back